University Name 1957–present
The University has had five official names since it was chartered in 1957:
- The State College for Alameda County — 1957–60
- Alameda County State College — 1960–63
- California State College at Hayward — 1963–72
- California State University, Hayward — 1972–2005
- California State University, East Bay — 2005–present
These changes reflected the University’s growth and evolution as part of The California State University system. The state legislature established the university in 1957, and its doors were first opened to 300 students in 1959 as the State College for Alameda County, informally referred to as Alameda State College. The name was officially changed two years later to Alameda County State College. The college moved to its current Hayward location in 1963 and was dedicated by Governor Edmund Brown on May 2, 1964, as California State College at Hayward. In 1972, the name of the state college system was changed and the campus became California State University, Hayward. On January 26, 2005, the Board of Trustees of The California State University changed the institution’s name to its current designation, California State University, East Bay to better reflect the University’s regional service to Alameda and Contra Costa counties.