Academic Programs


If you question the grade you received in a course, attempt to resolve the problem with your instructor. If you are not satisfied, discuss the issue with the chair of the department in which the course is offered. If the issue is not resolved, see the dean or associate dean of the college in which the course is offered. If all previous actions fail, contact the Presidential Appointee to the Fairness Committee by calling 510-885-3716 (the Academic Programs and Graduate Studies Office). If you are a candidate for a degree, notify your graduation evaluator that a question is pending resolution. Remember, once your degree has been posted, no grade changes will be recorded.

Fairness Committee

This is your recourse to resolve serious cases of alleged academic unfairness. After every effort by all parties to resolve the dispute has been ineffective, discuss your case with the President's appointee to the Fairness Committee. The Presidential Appointee will assist you in exhausting all normal channels and, if necessary, in filing a Petition for a Fairness Hearing. Submit your Petition and supporting documentation to the Academic Programs and Graduate Studies Student Services Office (Student Services and Administration Building 4500). The Fairness Committee will review your documentation and the response(s) filed by the other parties involved in the dispute. If the committee finds possible grounds for a grievance, a Hearing Panel will be convened to hear the case. Under normal circumstances, you must file your Petition before the end of the quarter following the quarter in which the alleged incident took place.
The Fairness Committee is empowered to change a grade in accordance with the Fairness Document and to assign a grade in cases where the instructor may have assigned an unfair academic grade. The Fairness Committee is authorized to change a grade only after it has conducted a proper review of the case.
More information is available from the Office of Academic Programs and Graduate Studies (Student Services and Administration Building 4500; Tel. 510-885-3716).

  • Print This Page
  • Bookmark and Share