Practice makes Perfect!
You've heard it said so many times. Making an excellent first impression is essential for a strong interview. This includes your appearance, your timeliness, but most importantly, your interviewing skills! Take a look at what happens to a few students who didn't prepare for their interview: http://www.ummlike.com/. Don't let this happen to you!
Who really gets the job? The best qualified? The smartest candidate? Not necessarily! Most of the time, it's the person who is able to best sell his or her skills to employers in a professional and effective manner.
Before heading into your next interview, spend 30 minutes using our newest technology: InterviewStream!
Have a webcam at home? You can conduct an interview right now! If you don't have your own webcam, you can stop into Academic Advising and Career Education (SA 2300) and talk with a counselor on how you can sign up to use this interactive online video-based practice interviewing tool in our office. This tool provides feedback and tips of non-verbal behavior and communication missteps, plus it's very helpful for objective counselor assessment.
To get started:
- Go to http://csueastbay.interviewstream.com/
- Click "JOIN HERE"
- Complete a short profile and choose your own username and password.
- You can either:
- Conduct a virtual interview (you must have a pc with a webcam)
- Schedule a time to come to AACE to use our webcam (please call 510.885.3621)
- If you have already registered with InterviewStream prior to the interview, please log in using that information. If you have not registered, please choose the "New User" option.
- Adjust the webcam on top and volume on the right side of the computer screen before beginning the interview.
- The interviewer will ask you a question and you can then respond. When finished with your response, click the mouse and it will stop recording.
- After each question, you can either "Retry" the response, "Skip" and come back to the question, "Review" to see your response, or choose "OK" to move on.
- When the interview is complete, you will receive an email with a link to view your responses and you are then able to email your interview to a career counselor to review and give feedback.