The McNair Scholars Program aims to successfully prepare undergraduates for entrance into graduate school. The ultimate goal of the program is for scholars to achieve a Ph.D. within ten years of graduating from CSUEB. The program is federally funded through the U.S. Department of Education and named after the late Ronald E. McNair who perished on the space shuttle Challenger in 1986.
The main components of the program include conducting original research under the guidance of a faculty mentor and receiving training in writing, communication and graduate school preparation.
Scholars receive financial support and travel opportunities that include presenting their research at conferences, visiting their top-choice graduate school and attending cultural activities.
- Opportunities – The McNair Scholars Program provides undergraduates with a challenging and supportive environment that is conducive to learning and personal/ professional development.
Students will have opportunities to:
- participate in research conferences
- work on an individualized research project under the mentorship of a CSUEB faculty member.
- network with graduate students and faculty in their area of interest
- meet other undergraduates who are interested in obtaining a Ph.D.
- Benefits – Academic year activities prepare participants for success in their undergraduate studies that will enable them to go on to complete doctoral studies. CSUEB's McNair Scholars Program offers the following:
- Involvement in a prestigious national scholars program
- Individualized academic and personal support
- Experience conducting original research with a CSUEB faculty mentor
- Funding to travel to conferences and visits to graduate schools
- A stipend for participation in the summer research activities
- Intensive GRE preparation (the test required for admittance into most graduate programs)
- Academic and career counseling
- Fee waivers for graduate applications and graduate fellowships designated for McNair Scholars only
- Sharpened writing and oral presentation skills
- The chance to be a part of a motivated, diverse and supportive learning community!