Dual Degree or Second Masters Degree
Pursue two masters degrees simultaneously
If you wish to pursue two master's degrees at the same time, you should indicate this on your application or "Change of Graduate Objective" form filed with the Office of Planning and Enrollment Management:
- Note that you must fulfill all prerequisites and requirements for each degree (up to 13 units from your first degree may be applied to your second degree if agreed to by your second degree program); and
- earn all units for each master's degree within the five calendar years immediately preceding the receipt of each degree.
If both degrees are in the same field (e.g., business administration), they each must be in a different option and all 45 or more units must be different.
Earn a second master´s degree
If you already have a master´s degree and want to pursue a second one you must meet the following criteria:
- Apply and gain admission to the department of the second master´s degree program;
- Fulfill all prerequisites and requirements for the second degree;
- Complete at least 32 units (32–39 in the Special Major, 35 in Public Administration, 39–41 in Multimedia, 59 in Counseling) in your second degree. Up to 13 units from your first degree may be applied to your second degree if agreed to by your second degree program; and
- Earn all units for your second master´s degree within the five calendar years immediately preceding the receipt of the degree.
If your second degree is in the same field as your first degree (e.g. Business Administration), the second degree must be in a different option and all 45 or more units must be different.
Other Graduate Student Services Links:
- Graduate Admissions Events
- Graduate Opportunities and Financial Resources
- Graduate Student Services
- Change of Graduate and Unclassified Post-Baccalaureate Objective
- Dual Degree or Second Masters Degree
- Graduate Reinstatement
- Graduate Study Completion
- University Thesis and Dissertation
- Thesis Submission Form
- Electronic Thesis Library Permission Form
- Dissertation Submission Form
- University Thesis Writing Guide