This test is NOT administered at CSUEB.
Purpose of the CLAD/BCLAD: The CLAD/BCLAD examination assesses the knowledge and skills required of teachers who serve Limited-English Proficient (LEP) students in California classrooms, and is designed to help identify candidates for certification who have demonstrated the level of knowledge and skills required to teach LEP students satisfactorily.
Description of the CLAD/BCLAD: The exam is divided into six separate tests. Passage of the first three tests is one way to satisfy one of the requirements for the CLAD certificate. Passage of all six tests is one way to satisfy one of the requirements for the BCLAD certificate.
- Test 1: Language Structure and First- and Second-Language Development. This test covers first- and second-language development, universals and differences in language structure and use; and consists of 50 multiple-choice questions.
- Test 2: Methodology of Bilingual, English-Language Development, and Content Instruction. This test covers theories and methods of bilingual education, instruction for English-Language Development and specially designed academic instruction delivered in English (SDAIE); and consists of 50 multiple-choice questions and one essay.
- Test 3: Culture and Cultural Diversity. This test covers the nature and content of culture, crosscultural contact and interaction, cultural diversity in California and the U.S., and issues related to the provision of culturally responsive pedagogy; and includes 40 multiple-choice questions and one essay.
- Test 4: Methodology for Primary-Language Instruction.This test covers instructional delivery and assessment in a bilingual classroom; and consists of 40 multiple-choice questions.
- Test 5: The Culture of Emphasis. This multiple-version test covers the origins and characteristics of the culture of emphasis, that is, the commonalities of the culture of emphasis in its home country or countries; and consists of 50 multiple-choice questions. See the registration bulletin for which languages this test is currently available.
- Test 6: The Language of Emphasis. This multiple-version test covers four separate components: Listening (21 multiple-choice questions), Reading (26 multiple-choice questions), Speaking (oral responses to 3 speaking assignments) and Writing (one essay in the language of emphasis).