TOEFL is NOT administered at CSU East Bay.
English Proficiency for Undergraduate Students
If you have not attended schools at the secondary level or above where English is the principal language of instruction for at least three years full-time, you must demonstrate proficiency by completing one of the following:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of 525 (or 197 computer-based or 71 Internet-based) or above.
- An overall IELTS (International English Language Testing System) score of 6.0 or above.
- Transferred from a U.S. college with 60 or more semester units with a minimum grade point average of 2.4, and have completed a transfer course in each of the following general education areas with a grade of 2.0 or better: English composition, speech, critical thinking, and mathematics.
English Proficiency for Graduate Students
If you are a graduate or post-baccalaureate student and your preparatory education was principally in a language other than English, you must demonstrate proficiency in English with one of the following:
- An official transcript showing graduation with a bachelor's degree from a U.S. college or university, or an international college or university where English is the principal language of instruction, or an official letter from the college or university certifying that English was the language of instruction.
- A TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of 550 (213 computer-based or 79 Internet-based; 92 for MA Economics) or above.
- An overall test score from IELTS (International English Language Testing System) exam of 6.5 or above for graduate students. A score of 7 or above is required for international students seeking a Masters of Science degree in Economics.