Filing a Charge of Academic Unfairness

It is CSUEB policy to treat all students with respect and fairness. If you believe you have been treated unfairly, it is best to take immediate action. Talk to your instructor about the situation and possible remedies. If you're having difficulty with an instructor over an Accessibility Services-approved accommodation, report the problem to your accessibility counselor right away. With your permission, your counselor will work with the instructor to ensure that your accommodation needs are met.   

If the matter of unfairness is not easily resolved or if such conditions result in an unfair grade, you may need to take additional steps such as consulting with heads of the department or school, or requesting a fairness hearing.

The following are the steps you should take when attempting to resolve matters of unfairness. Always start with your professor. In addition to discussing the issue during office hours or by phone, consider detailing your concern in an email. This provides a written record on the subject that may be helpful for you and others to later review. Continue up the steps if your issue does not get resolved to your satisfaction at a lower level. 

  1. Consult with the individual instructor.
  2. Consult with the Chair of the department.
  3. Consult with the Dean or Associate Dean of the college.
  4. Consult with the Presidential Appointee to the Fairness Committee.
  5. Complete the Student Petition for a Fairness Hearing form and return it to the Presidential Appointee.

For more information, read the Fairness Document that accompanies the Student Petition for a Fairness Hearing form.

  • Print This Page
  • Bookmark and Share