Green Cleaning Products
- We use Spartan's Green Seal Certified cleaning products which are non-VOC and biodegradable.
- Our damp mop products are phosphate free and biodegradable.
- The glass cleaner we use is a biodegradable product.
Reduce, Recycle & Reuse
- Our cleaning chemical dispenser measures precise quantities which reduces waste and water consumption.
- The toilet paper contains 70% recycled fiber and 30% post-consumer product.
- By purchasing the type of toilet paper that eliminated the inside cardboard tube, we reduce cardboard waste.
- Paper towels are made from 100% recycled content.
- Our refillable spray bottles reduce waste through reuse.
- Using foam hand-soap dispensers decreases the amount of soap used on campus and also reduces costs.
Landscape & Grounds
Landscape & Water
- Use of low water plant materials reduce the amount of irrigation required. Whenever possible, native plants and trees are incorporated into the landscape.
- Wood chips are used to control weeds and increased water retention. Wood chip mulch reduces the need for weed control chemicals and frequent irrigation.
- Construction wood and landscape green waste are collected and sent to Waste Management's chipping and composting facilities. The University then purchases the wood chips and compost for use on the campus thus creating a closed-loop recycling system.
- No fungicide or insecticides are used on campus plants. The only chemicals used are for weed control.
- Two trees are planted for every tree that is removed.
- An on-site nursery produces large amounts of our plant material, thereby reducing the carbon emissions associated with transportation and delivery.
- Newly purchased benches and planters for the Recreation and Wellness Center contain 40% post-consumer recycled material.
- Long lasting teak furniture is made from plantation grown wood.
- Water permeable landscape is considered rather than concrete whenever possible.
- Scrap metal is collected and sent to Waste Management's recycling facility.
- Use of durable carpet with an expected 25 year life-span reduces waste. Additionally, this type of carpet contains up to 52% recycled content. When it is time to replace the carpet, the manufacturer will recycle it so that no material will be sent to the landfill.