Driving on State Business
If your job requires you to drive on state business, you will need to meet several requirements including maintaining a good driving record and complete a defensive driving course. If you drive your privately owned vehicle on state business, you need to submit an Authorization to Use Privately Owned Vehicles on State Business (STD 261) (PDF) to your Department Supervisor each year. Be advised that any insurance on your private vehicle will be primary and the University's will be excess. There is no physical damage (comprehensive and collision) coverage.
Defensive Driver Training is required for all employees driving state vehicles and/or driving privately owned vehicles on state business. University vehicles should only be used to conduct university or state business. Only university employees can drive university vehicles.
For complete driving guidelines refer to: Use of University and Private Vehicle Guide
In Case of a Vehicle Accident
- Call 911 if immediate medical attention is needed for anyone involved in the accident.
- If any police authority or highway patrol is present, obtain a police report number if a report is completed.
- Report any accident immediately to Risk Management (510) 885-2743. Complete and submit the Standard Form 270 (Vehicle Accident Report) to your supervisor and Risk Management.
- Immediately report any bodily injury or significant property damage to the State Office of Risk and Insurance Management (ORIM) at (916) 322-0459 or by fax at (916) 322-6006. Weekend voice mail messages can be left at (916) 322- 8967.
- CSUEB Motor Vehicle Use Procedures
- Defensive Driving Requirements
- DMV Pull Notice
- Use of Privately Owned Vehicles on University Business
- Authorization to Use Privately Owned Vehicles (Std 261)
- Vehicle Accident Procedures
- Vehicle Accident Report (Std 270)
- Accident Information Card (Std 269)
- Comprehensive and Collision Insurance
- Vehicle Liability Insurance Coverage
- Medical Information
- Vehicle Repairs
- Explanation of Vehicle Report Forms
- Use of Commercial Car Rental Contracts