Inclusive Teacher Education/Special Education (TED/SPED) Concurrent Credential Program
A unique, innovative program designed for prospective teachers who wish to participate in a concurrent, Multiple Subject-Education Specialist (Mild/Moderate or Moderate/Severe Disabilities) credential program, or a multiple subject program with a special needs emphasis. This program:
- Meets all California Commission on Teacher Credentialing Special Education standards and No Child Left Behind requirements.
- Meets the needs of our changing general education population regarding diversity, learning, language and behavioral issues.
- Meets the needs of the diverse special education population. Specialist teacher candidates require thorough knowledge of core curriculum and the flexibility to assume a variety of roles within the inclusive general education classroom.
- Meets the CTC requirements for specific areas of overlap across mild/moderate and moderate/severe specialist credentials.
- Promotes collaboration between Special Education and Teacher Education via students training together on teams, completing joint inclusive fieldwork, and participating in team-taught courses.
- Increases the pool of fully qualified special educators in order to address the critical special education teacher shortage in the Bay Area, and to prepare general educators to work with students of diverse abilities.
- May be completed as a Multiple Subject, TED ONLY program. Preliminary Multiple Subject credential requirements completed at the close of Spring Quarter.
- Enables teacher candidates to complete their preliminary specialist credentials for both the Multiple Subject and Level I Specialist (TED/SPED) credentials, including Resource Specialist Competencies, in the time it takes candidates to complete only the specialist credentials in most universities.