The purpose of the CSSJ is to promote more humane and socially just sport practices, opportunities, and spaces through research and other creative scholarly activities. CSSJ’s aim is to critically examine the cultural practices and structural inequalities that continue to shape and inform sport. We encourage creative and radical work in sport and physical activity that empowers people and transforms communities.
The Center’s work seeks to address the following:
- How does sport impact the way we think about and treat our bodies?
- Who benefits from sport’s current form?
- How do market forces impact how we think about sport?
- What would sport look like if it were liberating?
- What is a ‘fit’ body and who determines what ‘fit’ means?
- How do people contribute to the health of their communities?
We hope that you will consider attending Center events and joining us in conversation about the place of sport and physical activity in our social world. For more information on the Center and its activities please contact the Director, Rita Liberti, at firstname.lastname@example.org