Maintaining Your F-1 Status
In order to maintain a legal F-1 status, students must:
- Keep a valid, authorized I-20 which reflects your current degree level and program of study at all times. (Check the completion of studies date in section 5 of your I-20.)
- Notify CIE of any change in your degree program or level so that we can update your information in the SEVIS system.
- If you are unable to finish all degree requirements before the completion date in #5 of your I-20, you must apply for a Program Extension at CIE before your I-20 expires.
- Maintain a valid passport at all times. (Contact your Embassy/Consulate to extend your passport)
- Refrain from unauthorized employment.
- Maintain full-time enrollment. Exceptions to full-time enrollment are defined by immigration regulations, and must be approved by an International Student Advisor BEFORE the quarter begins. Please see the definition of 'full-time' below (according to your degree level).
- Undergraduate and 2nd Bachelor: Must enroll in a minimum of 12 units in 3 consecutive quarters before taking one vacation term.
- Graduate: Must enroll in a minimum of 8 units in 3 consecutive quarters before taking one vacation term.
Taking A Vacation Quarter
- You may take a vacation quarter during the first summer quarter, if it is not your first quarter at CSUEB.
- You may take a vacation quarter during the Fall, Winter or Spring if you have been enrolled at CSUEB for three consecutive quarters.
- You must study for three consecutive quarters between two vacation quarters.
- Your last quarter prior to degree completion may not be a vacation quarter.
- Before taking a vacation quarter, you are required to receive written authorization from CIE.