Study Abroad Finances
Students who are eligible for financial aid may apply their aid to Cal State East Bay-sponsored study abroad programs to offset these educational expenses. Applying for financial aid for studying abroad is the same as applying for aid as a regular student. You just file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid , also known as the FAFSA. By filing the FAFSA, you are applying for federal grants and student loans. We encourage you to apply early in the calendar year for assistance in the upcoming academic year.
Students who are considering using financial aid should speak with a financial aid counselor as part of their application process. Students should bring a copy of the brochure of the CSU East Bay approved study abroad program, which contains a list of estimated costs. To find out more information, contact (all links open in a new window):
- Office of Financial Aid (Student Services & Administration Building, 1st floor)
- US Department of Education: Financial Aid for Students
- The Student Guide to Financial Aid
- FAFSA on the Web
Study Abroad Scholarships
The number of study abroad scholarships has been steadily increasing over the past few years. However, not many students are aware that study abroad scholarships exist. Below is a list of scholarships and resources for both undergraduate and graduate study abroad. Many of the scholarship deadlines are four to eight months before departure and they may or may not coincide with the study abroad application deadline. Be sure to check the websites and that you meet all of the eligibility requirements.
Undergraduate Scholarships (links open in new window)
Note: All undergraduate study abroad scholarships are currently only for Cal State East Bay-approved study abroad programs.
- CSU International Programs (IP) Scholarships
- Scholarships for Study Abroad in Various Countries
- Scholarships for Study Abroad in Individual Countries/Regions
Post-Baccularate/Graduate Scholarships (links open in new window)
Scholarship Databases and Resources
The Center for International Education provides the following as a courtesy and does not take any responsibility for the accuracy of the websites. All links open in a new window.
- Study Abroad Funding
- International Education Financial Aid (IEFA)
Website provides free searches for scholarships for study abroad.
- Study Abroad Loan Program
A resource for students looking for last minute funding. The program is offered by the Student Loan Network.
- University of Minnesota, International Study and Travel Center (ISTC), Scholarships Database
- Michigan State University List of Scholarships for Students of Color