Resources for Study in English
The CSUEB University Libraries have some great resources for our use. On their home page, they offer a subject page that lists the resources that are available for your use. In order to access these resources from a computer off campus, you will be asked to login with your net ID and password.
Citation and Documentation
Go to the University Libraries home page (http://library.csueastbay.edu), scroll down to the “How to” section on the right, and click “Cite Your Sources.” This will give you links to a variety of web links (such as the OWL at Purdue, Diana Hacker, and Duke University, and CSUEB tutorials (which require flash and the ability to activate sound)
- A Guide for Writing Research Papers Based on MLA Documentation
- How to Organize a Research Paper and Document it with MLA Citation )
- Noodle Tools Citation Builder
- Research and Documentation in the Electronic Age
This is a very good resource. Click to "Humanities."
- University of Illinois Guide to APA Citation
- University of Illinois Guide to MLA Citation
Intellectual Property, Copyright, and Plagiarism
- CSUEB Library Copyright and Intellectual Property Page at http://library.csueastbay.edu/using-the-libraries/services/copyright/
- Cal State East Bay Catalogue Discussion of Academic Dishonesty, 2003-2004
- Plagiarism by Sharon Stoner
- Guidance for CSU Policies on Intellectual Property: Intellectual Property, Fair Use, and the Unbundling of Ownership Rights (The Academic Senate of the CSU)
- Policy on Academic Dishonesty (Academic Senate of Cal State East Bay)
Reference Works: Encyclopedias, Dictionaries, Translation Services
- Bartelby Online
Check Bartleby for manyl kinds of online reference works.
- Bartlett's Quotations
- Free Online Dictionaries
This is a sloppy site, but it offers links to a wide range of dictionaries. To use it, scroll down to "Category Index."
- Information Please Dictionary and Encyclopedia
- Internet Public Library
- Systran: Information and Translation Technology
This service will also translate entire web pages for you.
- Translating Resources
- Yahoo's List of Dictionaries
- Yahoo's List of Encyclopedias
Online Handbooks and Online Writing Labs
- The Elements of Style
- Guide to Grammar and Writing
- Indespensible Writing Resources
- The Nuts and Bolts of College Writing
- Online Writing Labs
- Purdue Online Writing Lab Handouts
This site has information on everything from usage to punctuation to spelling.
- University of Illinois Writing Techniques Handbook
- University of Wisconsin Online Writing Handbook
This is a very good resource.
Resources for Literary Study
- Books Online
- Poetry Online
- American Authors: Literary Movements and Timeline
- Australian National University English and Theatre Studies Department Resources
All kinds of things in here to help with your study of literature.
Dr. White's Guide to Reading Literature
This collection of resources used to be the Carnegie Mellon English server. If anything online is sufficiently ancient to be considered an institution, the CM English Server is. This site is really worth a bit of your time!
- E.W. King Library Literature Subject Guide
- Floren's English Resources
- Glossary of Poetic Terms
- The Literary Dictionary
- Modern American Poetry
- Nuts and Bolts Guide to Writing about Literature
- Poets.org: The Academy of American Poets
- Rutger's Literary Resources on the Net
- Thinkers World Literature Information
- The Victorian Web
- The Voice of the Shuttle
- Writing about Literature