- Program Overview
- Audition Information
- Jazz Ensemble Auditions
- Night of Jazz at Yoshis Fundraiser
- Annual Jazz Festival
- Jazz Behind the Scenes Series
- Events Calendar
14th Annual Night of Jazz at Yoshi's
Scholarship Fundraiser - Support the Future of Jazz
A Bay Area tradition since 2000, the Annual Night of Jazz brings together prominent performers and composers of jazz with CSU East Bay students in order to make great music together while raising funds to allow for future CSU East Bay students to study jazz. This year's special guest artist is Bay Area native and NBC's Saturday Night Live Band Leader Lenny Pickett.
Monday, Mar. 11, 2013
Performances begin at 8:00 p.m.
$25 Advance / $30 Day of Show
Visit Yoshi's Oakland or call Yoshi's at 510-238-9200
Guest Artist - Lenny Pickett
Bay Area native (Berkeley, CA) Lenny Pickett and New York University Jazz saxophone faculty member Lenny Pickett is currently the Musical Director for NBC's Saturday Night Live band, joining SNL as tenor sax soloist in 1985 and promoted to Musical Director in 1995. He was also a long-time leader of the Tower of Power horn section. During the '70s, the Tower of Power was the dominant session horn group, cutting their own successful R&B/funk/pop records and backing a host of stars from Elton John to many soul and R&B acts. Pickett continued with the group until the mid-'80s, then made a solo release as a leader. He has also worked as a saxophonist and an arranger for artists including David Bowie, The Talking Heads, and Laurie Anderson. His recording, Lenny Pickett with the Borneo Horns, was described by Downbeat magazine as "a brilliantly creative use of acoustic instruments". He is the recipient of a Bessie Award.
The Jazz Program of the CSU East Bay Music Department celebrates the 14th anniversary of its Night of Jazz scholarship fundraiser at Oakland’s Yoshi’s Jazz Club. All proceeds from the Annual Night of Jazz benefit CSU East Bay's Music Department scholarship funds and special event funds.
Previous Guest Artists
- 2012 - Marvin Stamm, trumpet
- 2011 - Dave Eshelman, trombonist, composer
- 2010 - Marcus Shelby, bassist, composer
- 2009 - Dayna Stephens, saxophone
- 2008 - Ralph Alessi, trumpet
- 2007 - Gregg Field, drums and Shelly Berg, piano
- 2006 - Jamie Davis, vocalist and alumnus of the Count Basie Orchestra
- 2005 - Warren Gale, Jr., trumpet
- 2004 - Kim Richmond, composer, arranger, saxophone
- 2003 - Gordon Goodwin, composer, arranger, saxophone
- 2002 - Peter Erskine, drummer and composer
- 2001 - Maria Schneider, composer and conductor; and Dann Zinn, woodwinds
- 2000 - Gerald Wilson, conductor; Anthony Wilson, guitar; and Dann Zinn, woodwinds