- Program Overview
- Audition Information
- Jazz Ensemble Auditions
- Night of Jazz at Yoshis Fundraiser
- Annual Jazz Festival
- Events Calendar
16th Annual Night of Jazz at Yoshi's
Scholarship Fundraiser - Support the Future of Jazz
A Bay Area tradition since 2000, the Annual Night of Jazz brings together prominent performers and composers of jazz with CSU East Bay students in order to make great music together while raising funds to allow for future CSU East Bay students to study jazz. This year's special guest artist is tenor saxophonist and drummer Howard Wiley.
Monday, February 16, 2015
Performance begins at 9:30 p.m.
Check back soon for ticketing information · Visit Yoshi's Oakland or call Yoshi's at 510-238-9200
Guest Artist - Howard Wiley
Howard Wiley's grandfather, Sam Wiley, played saxophone in Count Basie’s Orchestra, and gave constant advice to the young musician growing up in Hercules, CA. Wiley’s debut recording, The Businessman (Sax Records, 1995) was released shortly after his 15th birthday, and was produced by Steve Savage and Jim Nadel, founder of The Stanford Jazz Workshop. While still in high school, Wiley received the Thelonious Monk Scholarship, Downbeat Magazine’s Blues/Pop/Rock Instrumentalist award for best soloist, and the MVP Award for the Grammy All-American Jazz Band. Wiley has performed at numerous jazz festivals, including the San Francisco Jazz Festival, North Beach Jazz Festival, Stanford Jazz Festival, Fillmore Jazz Festival, and the Huntington Beach Jazz Festival, and at such prestigious jazz clubs as Yoshi’s in Oakland, The Catalina Bar & Grill and B.B. King’s Blues Club in Los Angeles, and the Museum of Contemporary Art in Chicago. He was an integral member of local bassist and composer Marcus Shelby’s Jazz Orchestra for over two years, and is currently a member of Lavay Smith & Her Red Hot Skillet Lickers – one of the top swing & jump blues bands in the world. Lavay Smith & Her Red Hot Skillet Lickers maintain a busy schedule of over 250 performances per year, including extensive touring throughout the United States and Canada. They have performed at many prestigious venues including Lincoln Center, Monterey Jazz Festival, The Chicago Jazz Festival, and the Montreal Jazz Festival.
The Jazz Program of the CSU East Bay Music Department celebrates the 16th anniversary of its Night of Jazz scholarship fundraiser at Oakland’s Yoshi’s Jazz Club. All proceeds from the Annual Night of Jazz benefit CSU East Bay's Music Department scholarship funds and special event funds.
Previous Guest Artists
- 2014 - Mike Olmos, trumpet; and Marvin McFadden, trumpet
- 2013 - Lenny Pickett, saxophone
- 2012 - Marvin Stamm, trumpet
- 2011 - Dave Eshelman, trombonist, composer
- 2010 - Marcus Shelby, bassist, composer
- 2009 - Dayna Stephens, saxophone
- 2008 - Ralph Alessi, trumpet
- 2007 - Gregg Field, drums and Shelly Berg, piano
- 2006 - Jamie Davis, vocalist and alumnus of the Count Basie Orchestra
- 2005 - Warren Gale, Jr., trumpet
- 2004 - Kim Richmond, composer, arranger, saxophone
- 2003 - Gordon Goodwin, composer, arranger, saxophone
- 2002 - Peter Erskine, drummer and composer
- 2001 - Maria Schneider, composer and conductor; and Dann Zinn, woodwinds
- 2000 - Gerald Wilson, conductor; Anthony Wilson, guitar; and Dann Zinn, woodwinds