Concord Campus Commencement
Saturday, June 13, 2015
IMPORTANT INFORMATION for STUDENTS and their GUESTS
- All students and guests will be directed by University Police to park in the Student Parking Lot. Students may walk down to the Boatwright Field (about a 15 minute walk) or take one of the shuttle buses that will be traveling between the parking lot and the field. Please arrive early to guarantee parking. Vehicles with DMV issued accessible parking placards or license plates should enter at Pine Hollow Road to park at the Boatwright Field. Overflow parking will be arranged, please follow directional signs. Normal parking regulations will be enforced. Illegally parked cars will be towed at owner’s expense.
- Please enter the campus at Ygnacio Valley Road. The entrance to the campus from Pine Hollow Road will only be opened to shuttles and accessible parking. Upon arrival at the fields golf carts will be available to take guests with disabilities to the accessibility seating area.
- The Concord shuttle will run from the Concord BART Station starting at 7:00 a.m. The shuttle will make runs back to the Concord BART Station immediately after the ceremony. Riding the shuttle is encourage as parking is limited on campus.
- Graduating students who have RSVP’d to participate in the Concord Campus Commencement must be present on the Boatwright Field no later than 8:00 a.m. to line up for the processional. This means you need to arrive on-campus by 7:45 a.m. to allow time to park and get down to the Boatwright Field. Staff will be present at the field to direct you to the processional line-up. Follow signs to the student gathering area. You will be provided with a name card upon arrival, which you will present to the reader prior to walking across the stage. Please check the name card for errors, and make corrections accordingly. Add pronunciation if needed.
- Do not carry any extra items, such as purses, backpacks, flowers, balloons, etc. We recommend that these items be left with your family/friends during Commencement.
- The processional to the Ceremony will begin at 8:55 a.m. The Commencement Ceremony will begin promptly at 9 a.m. We recommend that your guests arrive on-campus no later than 8:00 a.m., to have time to park and walk or take a shuttle from the parking lot to the Boatwright Field. It takes approximately 15 minutes to walk from the student parking lot to the field. Shuttle wait times may be long. We encourage anyone able to walk to the fields to do so.
- Students & Guests with DMV issued disability parking placards and/or the pre-approved Disability Blue Permit will be allowed to park at the Boatwright Field. YOU MUST enter at the Pine Hollow Road entrance. Guest who enter at Ygnacio Valley Road will be committed to parking in the Student Parking Lot and taking the shuttle to the field. NO EXCEPTIONS.
Processional Instructions for All Students (Undergraduate & Graduate)
- Hand your name card to the announcer (provided to you during line-up)
- Walk across the stage when you hear your name being announced, shake hands with the Director and receive your diploma scroll from the President, shake hands and then come down the ramp. Please remember that you do not receive your actual diploma during the ceremony. The diploma is mailed to your mailing address once your degree is posted.
- Follow the marshal’s direction at the bottom of the ramp and return to your seat
- Graduate Students will be asked to put their hoods on prior to the processional. No formal hooding will take place during the ceremony.
- Out of respect for your fellow students, please return to your seat after you walk across the stage and remain seated until the end of the ceremony. There will be an opportunity for photographs after Commencement.
- Tickets are not required by guests for the Concord Ceremony.
Caps and Gowns (Hoods for Graduate students)
- Participating students are required to wear Caps & Gowns. Graduate students hoods are Please arrive at the field wearing your cap & gown. If you haven’t already purchased your cap and gown, please contact the CSUEB Bookstore www.csueb.bkstr.com
- A professional photographer will be taking pictures of each graduating student on stage during the Commencement Ceremony. Proofs of these pictures will be mailed to your home by the photographer.
In the event of rain
- In the event of inclement weather, the ceremony will take place as scheduled outside.
Commencement day etiquette anddecorum
Commencement is a special occasion for graduates and guests. Out of respect, graduates are asked to honor the significance and dignity of the occasion by following these simple rules. These rules are in place for the safety and enjoyment of everyone attending Commencement.
- Please refrain from behaviors that might detract from the decorum of the ceremony.
- Do not bring alcoholic beverages onto the campus.
- Children, family members, and anyone other than the graduating student are not permitted in the graduate seating area or allowed on the stage.
- No pets are allowed at Commencement except for service animals.
- Do not bring blow up toys and noisemakers.
- Be courteous to fellow graduates and guests and be respectful to all Commencement speakers.
- After walking across the stage, graduates should return to their seat and remain seated until the end of the ceremony.
- Turn off cell phones during the ceremony.
- Participation in the ceremony in no way assures that you have completed graduation requirements.
- Two to three months after your quarter of candidacy ends, Planning and Enrollment Management will mail diplomas to candidates who have completed all degree requirements.
- Your diploma will be mailed to the permanent address on file with the University. The mailing address used will be that which you provided on the degree candidacy form.
- Graduation leis and flowers will be available for purchase. There is no need to pre-order.
- There will be plenty of flowers available at one of the two flower stands at the ceremony; one in the student parking lot and one on the Boatwright fields at the entrance to Commencement.
Can I buy souvenirs and snacks
- The campus bookstore (Follett) will be on-site selling Cal State East Bay logo items, snacks and bottled water.
- Graduates with mobility, hearing, or other disabilities that require special accommodations should contact Jaski Kohli at email@example.com by May 20, 2015 to submit their request.
- Graduates with mobility issues will not be expected to line up at the soccer field. You will join your fellow graduates in the processional line or in the graduate seating area.
Printed Commencement Programs
- If you have requested a FERPA block be placed on your record, your name will not appear in the printed program unless otherwise requested.
- Please take as many printed programs as you desire at the end of the ceremony
- Additional programs may be available after the ceremony if you stop by the Concord Campus Academic Services offices or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Prepare properly for weather and outdoor environment
- Commencement is being held outdoors on a baseball field. Participating students and guests should be prepared for this environment.
- Comfortable shoes and sunscreen are recommended. High heeled shoes are not recommended.
If you still have questions
- please email email@example.com.