Department of Psychology
If you're curious about how people think, respond, learn and forget, develop into unique personalities, and interact with one another and their environments, then the field of Psychology is for you.
Psychology is the science of behavior and mental processes. Many psychologists work with people to understand how they think, respond to stress, learn and forget, develop into unique personalities, and interact with one another. Others study the behavior and nervous systems of animals in order to find general principles that apply across species. Psychologists apply their knowledge to do therapy and counseling, to improve practices in schools, prisons, and rehabilitation centers, and to enhance performance in industry, business, and the professions. Careers in psychology are already plentiful and fulfilling, and the field is one of the fastest growing in the world.
10 Reasons Why Cal State East Bay Is a Great Place to Major in Psychology
- Three programs:
Traditional Bachelor of Arts program (Bachelor of Arts Degree)
Option in Organizational/Industrial Psychology (Bachelor of Science Degree)
Option in Ergonomics and Human Factors (Bachelor of Science Degree)
- All programs develop practical skills desired by employers and grad schools.
- Unlike at large research institutions, all classes are taught by Ph.D. faculty.
- Faculty members in the Department of Psychology devote their full attention to undergraduates. Master's Degrees in Psychology are offered in the Department of Educational Psychology, a separate department.
- Interested undergraduate students are encouraged to perform independent research, or participate in faculty research. This opportunity is usually reserved for graduate students.
- Classes are friendly and cooperative.
- There's an active Psychology Club for all students, and a chapter of Psi Chi, the national psychology honor society.
- Undergraduate students have easy access to computers, laboratory facilities, and equipment. These include laboratories for working with people and rooms for observing individuals and groups.
- Fieldwork in the community is supported and encouraged.
- Student body is very diverse in culture, age, and ethnicity.
- Horizon Email
- Academic Advising and Career Education
- Student Health & Counseling Services
- General Education and Cluster Information
- Accessibility Services
- Registrar (Grade and Transcript Requests)
- University Library
The Psychology Department Office and almost all of the faculty offices are in the Science Building at the south end of the campus. The Psychology Office is in South Science 229. If you drive to campus, park at a meter, or buy a daily permit at a machine in a student parking lot. Phone: (510) 885-3484. Fax: (510) 885-2553.
College of Science
Phone: (510) 885-3484
Fax: (510) 885-2553
Office Hours: 8:30–5, M–F
- Tori Breshers Named CCAA Women's Basketball Player of the Week
- Cal State East Bay’s Theatre & Dance Department to perform "Our Town"
- CSUEB Men's Soccer Boasts Team-Record Three All-CCAA Honorees
- CSU East Bay Students Make a Difference
- Madison Hauanio Named National Swimmer of the Week