This includes all revisions of text in the general information chapters of the catalog. It also includes edits made to general program descriptions in the departmental chapters if a curricular document is not required. These changes do not require an approved curricular proposal. The general information chapters of the catalog and the faculty lists are revised every year.
- Fall quarter: Copies of the general information chapters are sent to the appropriate administrative offices for editing with a specified deadline for returning these copies to the catalog editor, Office of Academic Programs and Graduate Studies.
- Winter quarter: Copies of the revised undergraduate and graduate departmental curricular chapters are sent to the appropriate departments for review. Please Note: Only curricular changes approved by the Office of Academic Programs and Graduate Studies, and the Academic Senate (if needed) will appear in this catalog review copy. Departments will review their chapters for accuracy only. Departments, however, may make minor edits to general program descriptions at this time if a curricular document is not required.
Departments will be asked to return the corrected copies of their departmental chapters to the catalog editor, Office of Academic Programs and Graduate Studies by a specified deadline. Given the tight catalog production schedule, this is the only opportunity for departments to review their catalog copy.
There are different approval processes for different types of curriculum proposals. Please refer to the Curricular Procedures Manual and/or consult with your College Curriculum Coordinator.
- Why can't we modify courses and revise programs mid-year?
Student catalog rights are governed by the catalog in effect at the time they declare their undergraduate major/minor or are admitted to a graduate degree program. To avoid confusion, and to honor our agreement with the student, degree requirements and courses cannot be revised mid-year.
- Why can't we update our faculty list in the departmental chapters as changes occur?
All faculty changes (including the appointment of departmental Chairs) need to be verified by the Provost's Office as effective beginning the fall quarter that the catalog is effective. Updating the faculty lists each year requires more time than is currently available for the staff in the Provost's Office and the staff in the Office of Academic Programs and Graduate Studies. For an updated and comprehensive list of all university faculty, emeriti faculty, and lecturers with 3-year contracts, visit the Office of Academic Affairs website.
- Why don't all our department's emeriti faculty appear in the departmental chapter's faculty list?
Only the names of emeriti faculty who are currently teaching in the department appear in the departmental chapter. All emeriti faculty, however, appear in the comprehensive faculty list maintained by the Office of Academic Affairs (see above), with the exception of those who are deceased.
- I have additional questions. Who should I contact?
For questions concerning the catalog production process: Contact the Catalog Editor, Office of Academic Programs and Graduate Studies (4th Floor, Student Services and Administration Building; Tel. 885-3271).
For questions concerning the status of your curriculum proposal: Contact your College Curriculum Coordinator.