Super Sunday

Admission Frequently Asked Questions

What are the steps in the admission process?

To apply for admission to Cal State East Bay, complete the application for admission online at, submit your $55 nonrefundable application fee, and provide: 

  • high school transcripts and ACT or SAT scores if you are applying as a freshmen
  • official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended if you are applying as a transfer student 

What are the requirements for admission?

To be admitted as a freshman, you are required to:

  • be a high school graduate or have a GED
  • have completed “A-G” college preparatory subject requirements of:  A) 2 years History/Social Science; B) 4 years of English; C) 3 years of math (beginning with algebra); D) 2 years laboratory science (1 year of Natural Science and 1 year of Physical Science); E) 2 years language other than English (same language); F) 1 year visual or performing arts; and G) 1 year elective course   
  • minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.0 or above in all 10-12th grade A-G courses
  • taken SAT Reasoning or ACT exam and have met the eligibility index – see a CSUEB brochure or

To be admitted as an Upper Division transfer student, you are required to:

  • have a grade point average of 2.0 or better (California Resident) in all transferable units attempted
  • be in good standing at the last college or university attended
  • have more than 60 transferable semester credits, have completed at least 30 semester units of coursework in English composition, speech, critical thinking, and mathematics with a grade of C or higher. Visit for more information on CSU approved transferable courses.

To be admitted as a graduate student, you are required to:

  • have an undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university
  • have a grade point average of 2.5 or better in the last 60 semester credits attempted
  • be in good standing at the last college or university attended
  • meet the professional, personal, scholastic, and other standards for graduate study (including qualifying examinations) established by the graduate department to which you are applying. Individual graduate departments establish admission standards for their programs

When should I apply for admission?

Cal State East Bay is on a quarter system which means a new schedule of classes begins four times a year (in October, January, March, and June). Applications for admission are accepted for most terms; however exceptions do apply. To learn more, view the CSUEB application deadlines page at for details.

How can I get admission counseling prior to becoming a student?

High school students are encouraged to speak with their high school or outreach counselor, and community college students can meet with an advisor at their Transfer Center. If you are an undergraduate student, pre-admission counseling is available at both the Hayward and Concord Campus. For details and to schedule an appointment, call the Hayward Campus Welcome Center at (510) 885-2556, or visit us online at  For advising at the Concord Campus, contact the Academic Services Center at (925) 602-6700 or visit us online at

Can I take a class without enrolling in the University?

Yes. There are Continuing Education courses available including the Open University program which allows you to take classes on a space-available basis without going through the admission process.

What is financial aid?

Financial aid is money that is given, paid or loaned to you to help pay for your college. There are several types of financial aid for college students:

  • Grants & Scholarships - are given as awards and do not require repayment.
  • Loans - are borrowed from a lending institution. You are required to repay the loans with interest and loan related fees.
  • Work-Study Employment - is on-campus and approved off-campus employment which allows you to earn money for your education.

How do I apply for financial aid?

Submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at from January 1-March 2 (priority deadline) of the year you wish to enroll. Be sure to indicate Cal State East Bay as an institution allowed to access your FAFSA. The Office of Financial Aid will then be able to provide you with an estimate of your Financial Aid award. Also, ask your school to submit a Grade Point Average form to the California Student Aid Commission during the January 1-March 2 Cal Grant application period. For more information go to .

What kind of information will I need to complete my FAFSA?

You will need information on your family income (if dependent), tax returns, your social security number, bank statements and drivers license (if you have one).

When is the deadline to apply for aid?

The priority filing period for the FAFSA is January 1-March 2 of the academic year you plan to enroll. FAFSAs are accepted after March 2; however, to receive the maximum amount of aid possible, submit your FAFSA between January 1 and March 2.

Who is eligible to receive Federal financial aid?

To receive federal student aid, you must meet certain requirements including:

  • be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • have a valid Social Security Number
  • register with Selective Service if you are male and 18 to 25 years of age
  • have a high school diploma or GED
  • be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a regular student working toward a degree or certificate in an eligible program at a school that participates in the federal student aid programs

What does financial aid pay for?

Depending on your eligibility, financial can be used to pay educational expenses including tuition fees, books and supplies, food, housing, transportation, and some personal expenses while you attend college.

How much financial aid can I receive?

Students and their families are expected to contribute to the cost of college to the extent that they are able. Your eligibility for aid depends on your Expected Family Contribution (EFC), your year in school, your enrollment status, and the cost of attendance at the school you will be attending. 

  • Print This Page
  • Bookmark and Share