Service Learning in Disciplines
Curious how service learning fits in your discipline? This page allows you to view readings in your field! Readings focus on the application and theory of service learning and community engagement in your discipline.
- Fales, Bethany Jean. "Service Learning and the Arts." Service Learning and the Arts (Informational Paper). Learning to Give. 8 Dec 2008 <http://www.learningtogive.org/papers/paper239.html>.
- Goldbard, Arlene. New Creative Community: the Art of Cultural Development. New York: New Village Press, 2006.
- Jeffers, Carol S. Spheres of Possibility: Linking Service Learning and the Visual Arts. Natl Art Education Assn, 2005.
- Rowntree, Julia. Changing the Performance: A Companion Guide to Arts, Business and Civic Engagement. London: Routledge, 2006.
- Alon, Illan. "Service Learning and International Business Education." Academic Exchange Quarterly 8.1 (2004) 8 Dec 2008 <http://www.rapidintellect.com/AEQweb/mo2369w4.htm>.
- BushBascelis, Jean L. “Innovative Pedagogy: Academic Servicelearning for Business Communication.” Business Communication Quarterly 63.3 (1998): 2035.
- Nuq, Patrice Anne and Boland, Bob. Exploring Marketing: A Creative Learning Approach. Sigel Press, 2006.
- Rama, D.V. Learning By Doing: Concepts and Models for Service Learning in Accounting (Service Learning in the Disciplines Series). Stylus Publishing, 1998.
- Hendricks, James E. and Byers, Brian D. Crisis Intervention in Criminal Justice / Social Service. Springfield, I.L.: Charles C. Thomas Publisher, 2006.
- Lisman, David C . Toward a Civil Society: Civic Literacy and Service Learning. Westport, C.T.: Bergin & Garvey Paperback, 1998.
- Renzetti, Claire M. Criminal Justice Research and Practice: Diverse Voices from the Field (Northeastern Series on Gender, Crime, and Law). Northeastern, 2007.
- Blieszner, Rosemary and Artale, Lisa M. “Benefits of Intergenerational Service Learning to Human Services Majors.” Educational Gerontology, 27.1 (2001): 7187.
- Chrisholm, Linda A. “International Service learning: For a World of Difference.” The Black Collegian 27.2 (2007): 149 52.
- Nassaney, Michael S. and Levine, Mary Ann. Archaeology and Community Service Learning. University Press of Florida, 2009.
- Norbeck, Jane S., Charlene Connolly, and JoEllen Koerner, eds. Caring and Community: Concepts and Models for Service Learning in Nursing. Washington, DC: American Association for Higher Education, 1998.
- Johnson, Sheryl W. “Service Learning in Health Administration Programs.” Academic Exchange Quarterly 9.3 (2005): 25459.
- Seifer, Sarena D. et al. Creating Community Responsive Physicians: Concepts and Models for Service Learning in Medical Education (Service Learning in the Disciplines Series). Stylus Publishing, 2000.
- Stevens, Cheryl A. Service Learning for Health, Physical Education, and Recreation A Step-by-step Guide. Human Kinetics Publishers, 2008.
- Ansell, Mark. Personal Training (Active Learning in Sport). Learning Matters, 2008.
- Cutforth, Nicholas J. “Connecting School Physical Education to the Community Through Service Learning.” JOPERD— The Journal of Physical Education, Recreation & Dance 71.2 (2000): 3956.
- Stevens, Cheryl A. Service Learning for Health, Physical Education, and Recreation A Step-by-step Guide. Human Kinetics Publishers, 2008
LEADERSHIP IN LEISURE & HOSPITALITY
- Education to the Community Through Service Learning.” JOPERD—The Journal of Physical Education, Recreation & Dance 71.2 (2000): 3956.
- Moorman, Marta K. and Arellano Unruh, Nita. “Community Service Learning Projects for Undergraduate Recreation Majors.” JOPERD— The Journal of Physical Education, Recreation & Dance 73.2 (2002): 4247.
- Riley, Kevin. “Service Learning Evaluation Projects: a Step-by-step Guide.” JOPERD The Journal of Physical Education, Recreation & Dance 77.6 (2006): 3945.
- Brubaker, David C., and Joel H. Ostroff, eds. Life, Learning and Community: Concepts and Models for Service-Learning in Biology. Washington, DC: American Association for Higher Education, 2000.
- Lundberg, Carol A. “Nontraditional College Students and the Role of Collaborative Learning as a Tool for Science Mastery.” School Science and Mathematics 103.1 (2003): 8-18.
- Scott, Anna K et al. “Service Learning and Science: a Successful Model.” Academic Exchange Quarterly 9.1 (2005): 222-29.
- Yolanda, Sosa et al. In Touch: Community Service Learning: A Guide to Hands-on Science. American Association for the Advancement of Science, 2007.
- Majewski, Virginia. Social Work and Service Learning: Partnerships for Social Justice. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, Inc., 2007.
- Mooney, Linda A. and Edwards, B.O.B. “Experiential Learning in Sociology: Service Learning and Other Community based Learning Initiative.” Teaching Sociology. 29.2 (2001): 181194.
- Ostrow, James, Garry Hesser, and Sandra Enos, eds. Cultivating the Sociological Imagination: Concepts and Models for Service Learning in Sociology. Washington, DC: American Association for Higher Education, 1999.
- Whitfield, Toni S. “Communication Service learning Work Themes.” Academic Exchange Quarterly 10.2 (2006): 22631.
TUTORING & MENTORING
- Hart, S.M. and King, J.R. “Service learning and literacy tutoring: Academic impact on pre-service teachers.” Teaching and Teacher Education. Elsevier, 2007.
- Somekh, Bridget. Using Information Technology Effectively in Teaching and Learning: Studies in Pre-Service and In-Service Teacher Education (Studies in Pre-service & Inservice Teacher Education). London: Routledge, 1997.
- Westerlund, Debbie et al. “Effects of Peer Mentors on Work-Related Performance of Adolescents with Behavioral and/or Learning Disabilities.” Journal of Positive Behavior Interventions 8.4 (2006): 244-52.
TECHNOLOGY ENGINEERING & MATH
- Hefley Bill and Murphy, Wendy. Service Science, Management and Engineering: Education for the 21st Century (Service Science: Research and Innovations in the Service Economy). Berlin: Springer, 2008.
- Nokes, Kathleen et al. “Using Technology to Enhance Service Learning Reflections.” Academic Exchange Quarterly 7.2 (2003): 85-91.
- Somekh, Bridget. Using Information Technology Effectively in Teaching and Learning: Studies in Pre-Service and In-Service Teacher Education (Studies in Pre-service & In-service Teacher Education). London: Routledge, 1997.
- Tsang, Edmund. Projects That Matter: Concepts and Models for Service Learning in Engineering (Service Learning in the Disciplines Series). Stylus Publishing, 2000.