All Windows computers in Smart Classrooms and Labs have some common software installed in order to provide a uniform experience for instructors and students. Some Smart Classrooms include East Bay Replay software as noted on the Smart Classroom list. Additional specialized software is installed in labs and classrooms individually as requested. Maintenance updates are scheduled outside of normal class hours and the computers are protected from infection or abuse with a combination of virus and malware scanners and the program Steady State which clears all software changes each time the computer is restarted.
Features of the common configuration include:
- The computer automatically logs on to the Smart Classroom or Lab Student account.
- If a problem occurs, restarting the computer often resolves it. If the computer is not responding at all, press and hold the on/off button on the computer for ten full seconds, and then turn the computer back on.
- The computer is not connected to the campus Active Directory. You cannot log on with your NetID.
- The Steady State program restarts the computer every night and removes any changes to the software.
- My Documents is the default location for files that you create, download, or copy to the computer. Files in the My Documents folder are not removed by the Steady State program and typically remain on the computer throughout the academic quarter. They may be deleted, however, if the computer is replaced, repaired, or updated.
- If additional software is required, submit a request through the Service Desk at least four weeks prior to the date needed.
- Power Management is set to level Green 16:
- The monitor and hard disk go to sleep after 30 minutes idle. Move the mouse or press the SHIFT key to wake them up.
- The computer powers off automatically after 11 pm and restarts at 6 am.
- Drivers for most flash drives, graphics tablets, and other hardware are installed. If drivers for additional hardware are required, submit a request through the Service Desk at least four weeks prior to the date needed.
For new software in a lab or smart classroom, please submit a request through the Service Desk.
- It may take up to 20 business days to complete software installations.
- Software must be legally licensed to be used in the lab (no shareware or trial versions).
- You must provide us with a copy of the license and installation media or access to the installation program.
- We need you to help test the program after we install it.
Software in Smart Classrooms and Labs includes:
- Microsoft Office
- Open Office (Base, Calc, Draw, Impress, Math, Writer)
- Microsoft Visual Studio
- Turning Point
- Quick Time Player
- Windows Media Player
- Roxio Creator
- Flash and Shockwave browser add-ons
- Internet Explorer
- Mozilla Firefox w/ “Plain Old Favorites” add-on
- Apple Safari browser
- Core FTP LE
- Putty for Telnet
- Kurzweil 3000
- Zoom Text
- McAfee Anti-Virus
- Adobe Reader
- Bomgar Jump Client
- Steady State
- Microsoft Security Essentials
- PDF Creator