All Windows computers in Smart Classrooms and Labs have some common software installed in order to provide a uniform experience for instructors and students. Some Smart Classrooms include East Bay Replay software as noted on the Smart Classroom list. Additional specialized software is installed in labs and classrooms individually as requested. Maintenance updates are scheduled outside of normal class hours and the computers are protected from infection or abuse with a combination of virus and malware scanners and the program Steady State which clears all software changes each time the computer is restarted.
Features of the common configuration include:
- The computer automatically logs on to the Smart Classroom account.
- If a problem occurs, restarting the computer often resolves it. If the computer is not responding at all, press and hold the on/off button on the computer for ten full seconds, and then turn the computer back on.
- The computer is connected to the campus Active Directory and the Bomgar remote assistance system.
- The Deep Freeze program removes any changes to the software each time the computer is restarted. Every classroom computer is restarted each night.
- My Documents is the default location for files that you create, download, or copy to the computer. Files in the My Documents folder are not removed by the Deep Freeze program and typically remain on the computer throughout the academic quarter. They may be deleted, however, if the computer is replaced, repaired, or updated.
- If additional software is required, submit a request through the Service Desk at least four weeks prior to the date needed.
- The computer enters maintenance mode at 11 pm and restarts in normal mode at 6 am.
- Drivers for most flash drives, graphics tablets, and other hardware are installed. If drivers for additional hardware are required, submit a request through the Service Desk at least four weeks prior to the date needed.
For new software in a lab or smart classroom, please submit a request through the Service Desk.
- It may take up to 20 business days to complete software installations.
- Software must be legally licensed to be used in the lab (no shareware or trial versions).
- You must provide us with a copy of the license and installation media or access to the installation program.
- We need you to help test the program after we install it.
Software in Smart Classrooms and Labs includes:
- Microsoft Office
- Open Office (Base, Calc, Draw, Impress, Math, Writer)
- Microsoft Visual Studio
- Turning Point
- Windows Media Player
- Flash and Shockwave browser add-ons
- Internet Explorer
- Mozilla Firefox
- Google Chrome
- Core FTP LE
- Putty for Telnet
- McAfee Anti-Virus
- Adobe Reader
- Bomgar Jump Client
- Deep Freeze
- Microsoft Security Essentials