Pioneer Data Warehouse Goals and Purpose
The goal of the Pioneer Data Warehouse is to provide strategic and operational data to help Cal State East Bay decision makers, faculty and staff meet long term goals as well as to serve immediate data needs - in other words, to enhance East Bay's access to and use of timely data for decision-making. The Pioneer Data Warehouse (PDW) serves the following constituencies:
- Academic leadership, including deans and chairs, faculty, academic senate committees, and academic support staff who should have easy access to information in the data warehouse via web-based operational reports and dashboards based on standardized parameters
- Executive leadership and senior staff who need ready access to key performance data via executive dashboards
- Administrative business process owners and users who require analytical tools to improve and enhance business process in a wide range of operational areas across the university
- Administrative business analysts, who require analytical tools that enable analyses in such areas as admission yields, enrollment management, classroom and class section utilization, student retention, student progress to degree, budgeting, cost of instruction, etc.
- Third party campus data system owners who require regular feeds and uploads for their business processes
- Students, including student clubs and organizations
- External consultants, business partners, and auditors who would have selective access as appropriate to their roles.
The purpose and intent of the Pioneer Data Warehouse is as follows:
- Planning which includes analysis of patterns and trends, setting targets and allocation of resources. Official archived census data for current and prior terms are available. This information is based on census data that is submitted to the Chancellor’s Office plus additional data elements needed by East Bay for providing student projections, supporting the Provost’s model allocation of resources to colleges, space utilization; high level performance indicators.
- Communicating with selected groups of students to inform and/or remind them to do something. By having nightly refreshes, the PDW is current and timely. Some uses of these lists includes sending reminders to applicants who haven’t yet submitted final transcripts; or reminders to academic departments that major checks for graduation are due; announcing to students in selected majors about a guest lecture relevant to their fields of study; inviting graduating seniors to special departmental receptions; reminder to supervisors who haven’t filed performance evaluations for their staff etc. With approved access through the eSARF approval process you can gain access to student lists with directory information including e-mail addresses.
- Supporting business processes for daily operations including checking for compliance with federal, state and local policy regulations. This requires nightly refreshes and will include supporting internal administrative processes that include s monitoring faculty workload, checking on pending staff evaluations, monitoring current budget balances and checking student assistant hours worked. Evaluation of data warehouse vendors that will provide this functionality is currently underway and our goal is to have this information available in the Pioneer Data Warehouse in 2013.
- Monitoring progress and/or making projections during registration, admission and other quarterly or annual cycles. This type if information comes in the form of aggregate data and can be run for current or selected historical point-in-time comparative data. Aggregate type enrollment information is currently available to all CSUEB faculty and staff. Visit the Pioneer Data Warehouse report link to access.
- Providing information to various federal and state agencies, CSU system offices, auxiliaries, and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). Also supporting East Bay’s colleges and departments in providing information for accrediting inquiries, grant applications, and internal reviews. This includes quarterly Enrollment Reporting System (ERS) files to the Chancellor’s Office, providing five-year academic program review data and grant review reports that span fiscal years.
- PDW Goals and Purpose
- Student Key Terms
- Student Data Dictionary
- Detailed Student Reports (eSARF required)
- Finance Reporting (CFS) (eSARF required)
- Financial Reporting (prior to June 30, 2011) (eSARF required)
- HR Compensation Report (eSARF required)
- Temp Faculty Contract Report