Who Must Complete Early Start and Exemption Criteria
If you are a freshman starting at a CSU campus in Fall and do not meet the exemption criteria below, you must participate in the Early Start program during the summer. You must participate because your current test scores on file indicate you are not ready for college-level English and/or math.
Students Exempt from Early Start
The following freshmen are exempt from the Early Start Summer Program:
- Freshmen who are not residents of California, including international students
- Freshmen who participate in EOP’s Summer Bridge program
- Freshmen who score 147 or above on the EPT or 50 or above on ELM test
- Freshmen who meet the exemption criteria for EPT/ELM excluding those in EAP Conditional Status. Learn more at www.csueastbay.edu/placement-
- Students in EAP Conditional status who successfully complete the senior year course experience in math and/or English will become exempt from Early Start after receipt of a final transcript. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org once your course is completed and your transcript has been sent to CSUEB.
Requesting an Exemption
Only if you have an extreme or extenuating circumstance beyond your control preventing you from completing the mandatory Early Start requirement during the summer can you petition for an exemption. Submit your petition to email@example.com. Please be sure to include your full name, NetID number, and a detailed explanation of your situation with supporting documentation if appropriate.