The MSTI (Math and Science Teaching Initiative) Program is designed to recruit and train students to become high school math and science teachers. Another goal of the program is to expose high school students to the benefits and possibilities of pursuing a college degree at the CSU.
The MSTI Math and Science Affiliate Scholars program provides early field experience for potential future high school math and science teachers. These Scholars serve one or more teachers directly in the classroom.
Who can be an Affiliate Scholar?
Affiliate Scholars will be selected from a pool of CSUEB students and local community college students who have expressed an interest in high school teaching. Math Scholars must have achieved a grade of B or better in at least one college level math course OR scored a 3 or higher on an AP Math exam OR scored 600 or higher on the Math SAT exam. Science Scholars must have achieved a grade of B or better in the appropriate freshmen level science course. All Scholars will receive training and ongoing guidance from qualified CSUEB faculty.
What will Affiliate Scholars do?
Each scholar will be paid for up to 10 hours of work per week. For example, if a scholar works ten hours, their work could be distributed approximately as follows:
- Contact hours 8hrs/week
- Class preparation 1 hr/week
- Grade and record homework 1 hr/week
Benefits of Program
- HS students receive more feedback on and complete more homework
- HS students receive more individualized attention
- HS students are informally mentored by university TAs
- Affiliate Scholars gain experience in the classroom
- Affiliate Scholars clarify their understanding of mathematics by teaching
- Affiliate Scholars work in teams and provide valuable community service
- Affiliate Scholars are provided with meaningful and relevant work experience
- Affiliate Scholars are better able to meet the cost of a college education
- Increase the visibility of CSUEB at feeder schools
- Increase linkages among CSUEB, area high schools and the community
Colleges Enrolled in Affiliate Scholars Program:-
- Cal State East Bay: Kathy Hann (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Chabot College: Carey Kopay (email@example.com)
- Contra Costa College: Seti Sidharta (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Diablo Valley College: Jackie Jones-Castellano (JJones-Castellano@dvc.edu)
- Ohlone College: Laurie Issel-Tarver (email@example.com)