Summer Quarter 2013 Special Session Fees

Frequently Asked Questions

For the Summer Quarter 2013, many graduate level courses will have Special Session fees. The following frequently asked questions are presented to help you understand this change in fee structure. If you have additional questions contact the Enrollment Information Center in the Student Services & Administration (SA) Building first floor or call 510-885-2784.

Which graduate classes will be offered with Special Session fees?

All courses at the master's degree level will be offered through Special Session in Summer Quarter 2013 except for courses required by the following cohorted masters programs: MS in Education, Option in Curriculum; Health Care Administration(MS HCA); Public Administration (MPA); and MS Speech-Language Pathology. Courses in these cohort programs will be offered through the regular schedule and tuition fee structure.

Classes for credential and other state-support post-baccalaureate programs as well as the EDD will be offered through the regular schedule and tuition fee structure. 

All undergraduate courses will be offered through the regular schedule and tuition fee structure.

Why is summer quarter different this year? 

The resources to teach Special Session courses do not come from the regular university budget. By reducing the number of regular courses taught in the summer, the colleges will be able to move resources into the academic year and offer more courses to meet student demand during Fall, Winter and Spring.

What is Special Session?

Special Sessions provide an opportunity to offer courses, certificate and online degree programs at times and in locations that are not able to be financed through regular state funds. The Division of Continuing and International Education is authorized by the CSU to offer courses in Special Session.

How will I know if a class is being offered in Special Session?

The classes offered in Special Session will have a section number that ends with the letters “SP”.

What will be the instructional fees for Special Session courses?*

The instructional fee for Special Session courses will be $339 per unit. Examples of total fees that students will pay are:

  • One 4-unit graduate self-support course:           4 units x $339 = $1,356
  • Two 4-unit graduate self-support courses:          8 units x $339 = $2,712

* Tuition and Fees are Subject to Change

The CSU makes every effort to keep student costs to a minimum. Fees listed in published schedules or student accounts may need to be increased when public funding is inadequate. Therefore, CSU must reserve the right, even after initial fee payments are made, to increase or modify any listed fees, without notice, until the date when instruction for a particular semester or quarter has begun. All CSU listed tuition and fees should be regarded as estimates that are subject to change upon approval by The Board of Trustees.

Will students taking Special Session courses be charged other fees?

No other campus fees, including non-resident fees and graduate professional program fees, will be charged if students are taking Special Session courses only. Students taking Special Session courses only who wish to use campus facilities or services (e.g. RAW, Student Health Center) will pay fees on an as-used basis.

What fees will I pay if I take both a graduate course and an undergraduate course? 

All undergraduate courses will be offered on the regular schedule with tuition fees based on whether a student enrolls part-time (taking 6 or fewer units) or full-time (more than 6 units) and students taking undergraduate courses will pay the usual campus-based fees. Thus, students who take a combination of graduate and undergraduate courses will pay separately for each.

Why are instructional fees different in Special Session?

When classes are offered through the regular schedule the total costs, including faculty compensation, are covered by the state general fund as well as student tuition. When a class is offered in Special Session, there is no state funding at all. Student fees must cover all direct and indirect expenses associated with offering the class and services.

Can I use a CSU Employee Fee Waiver to pay for Summer Special Session (SP) courses?

No, you can not apply the CSU Employee Fee Waiver to Summer 2013 Special Session (SP) course fees.

How will students register?

Students will register and pay their fees using MyCSUEB and follow university policies and processes as they would in any other term. Registration for Summer Term 2013 will begin on May 20. Students should check MyCSUEB for their appointment date and time. The full schedule of classes will be available on MyCSUEB on May 13. The registration times and schedules will be the same as for any other quarter.

Will financial aid be available for Summer Quarter? 

Direct Loans are available for eligible matriculated students enrolled exclusively in Special Session. Eligible students enrolled in regular courses, or in a combination, may receive Direct Loans and state grants. All students interested in receiving summer financial aid, should complete the 2013-2014 FAFSA. Students must maintain half-time enrollment to receive financial aid. Half-time enrollment for a master’s degree program is equivalent to four units of graduate coursework numbered 6100 or higher. Half-time enrollment for undergraduate students is six units.  

I’m not a regular CSUEB student but sometimes I take a course through Open University. Can I take a course through Open University in Summer Term 2013?

Yes, you will register through the Division of Continuing and International Education just like in any other quarter. The Open University course fee is $304 per unit for undergraduate courses, and $339 per unit for graduate courses. (Fees are subject to change without prior notice.)

I’m a student in a degree program that is offered through Continuing Education. What changes can I expect to see?

You will not see any changes. Graduate and undergraduate programs operated through Continuing Education are not affected by the changes made for Summer Term 2013. These programs will continue to operate as they have in the past.

Will any classes be offered in the five week session format this summer?

Classes may be taught in a five week session. In the Schedule of Classes, these accelerated classes are identified with a Five Wk 1 or Five Wk 2 session code. You can search for classes by session in MyCSUEB

Students wishing to receive financial aid must be enrolled in either ten week (Regular Session) classes or classes in two consecutive five week sessions (Five Week 1 and Five Week 2).

Will any classes be offered online this summer?

Yes, some classes will be taught online. In the Schedule of Classes, these classes are identified with Online Campus in the location code. In MyCSUEB you can search for classes by location.

  • Print This Page
  • Bookmark and Share