Summer Session 2014 

This summer, courses will be offered via University Extension to accommodate new and continuing students in currently-approved, post-baccalaureate and graduate programs as well as other classes that undergraduates need to complete their degrees.  Please read the Frequently Asked Questions that follow. For additional inquiries, please send an e-mail to or call University Extension at 510-885-2317.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Will undergraduate classes be offered in Summer 2014?

Yes, select undergraduate courses will be offered via self-support.

2. Will post-baccalaureate and graduate courses be offered this summer?

Yes, select courses will be offered via self-support in Summer 2014 except for courses required by the MS in Education, Option in Curriculum. Courses in the MS in Education, Option in Curriculum will be offered via regular state support session. Additionally, Credential courses and the EDD courses will be offered via regular state support.

3. What is self-support?

Self-support is a financial mechanism which allows the university to offer courses when there is insufficient state funding. University Extension is authorized by the CSU to extend the University’s offerings via self-support.

4.   Why is summer quarter different this year? 

The resources to teach self-support courses do not come from the regular university budget.  By reducing the number of regular courses taught in the summer, the colleges will be able to move resources into the academic year and offer more courses to meet student demand during Fall, Winter and Spring. Enrollment Update Communiqué

5. How will I know if a class is being offered in self-support?

The classes offered in self-support will have a section number that ends with the letters “SP”.

6. What will be the instructional fees for self-support courses?

The instructional fee for self-support courses will be based on whether the course is an undergraduate or a graduate-level class. The fee structure is provided below:
• Undergraduate self-support price per unit: $181/unit
• Graduate self-support price per unit: $246/unit

Fees are subject to change without prior notice.

7. Will students taking self-support courses be charged other fees?

No other campus fees, including non-resident fees and graduate professional program fees, will be charged if students are taking self-support courses only. Students taking self-support courses only who wish to use campus facilities or services (e.g. RAW, Student Health Center) will pay fees on an as-used basis.

8. What fees will I pay if I take both a graduate course(s) and an undergraduate course(s)?

Students who take some combination of graduate and undergraduate courses will have two separate fee structures and will pay the per-unit fees as described in question 6.

9. Why are instructional fees different in self-support?

When a class is offered via the self-support model, state funding is not allowable. Student fees must cover all direct and indirect expenses associated with the offering.

10. How will students register?

Students will register and pay their fees using MyCSUEB and follow university policies and processes as they would in any other term. Registration for Summer Term 2014 will begin on May 19. Students should check MyCSUEB for their appointment date and time. The full schedule of classes will be available on MyCSUEB on May 12. The registration times and schedules will be the same as for any other quarter. Important dates regarding enrollment, fee payment deadlines, final exam week, and grades can be found at the Important Dates web page.

11. Will financial aid be available for Summer Quarter?

Federal student aid is available for eligible matriculated students enrolled exclusively through self-support. Federal aid includes Pell Grant, SEOG, Teach Grant, Federal Work Study, Direct Loans, and Perkins Loan. Eligible students enrolled in state supported courses, or in a combination of state and self-support, may also receive state aid for their qualifying state supported enrollment. State aid includes State University Grant, Graduate Business Grant, Chafee Grant, and EOP. Students enrolled exclusively through state support may receive both Federal and state aid this summer.

How can I apply for summer financial aid?

To apply for summer aid, complete the 2014-2015 FAFSA.

How many units do I need to qualify for financial aid?

Students must be enrolled at least half time. Half time-enrollment for a master’s degree program is equivalent to four units of graduate coursework numbered 6100 or higher and undergraduates must maintain six units to be considered halftime. Full time enrollment for graduate students is equivalent to eight units and undergraduate students must maintain twelve units to be considered full time. In some cases, aid eligibility is prorated when students enroll less than full time. Direct Loans require half-time enrollment.

12. I’m not a regular CSUEB student but sometimes I take a course through Open University. Can I take a course through Open University in Summer Term 2014?

Yes, students can register through University Extension just like in any other quarter. Open University registration information can be found at

13. I’m a student in a degree program that is offered through University Extension. What changes can I expect to see?

No change. Graduate and undergraduate programs operated entirely through self-support are not affected by the changes made for Summer Term 2014. These programs will continue to operate as usual.

14. Which campus fee waivers will be applicable to self-support summer courses?

None. Fee waivers are not applicable to Summer 2014 Special Session (SP) course fees.

15. Will any classes be offered in the five-week session format this summer?

Classes may be taught in a five-week session. In the Schedule of Classes, these accelerated classes are identified with a Five Wk 1 or Five Wk 2 session code. Class sessions are searchable. Students wishing to receive financial aid must be enrolled in either ten-week (Regular Session) classes, or classes in two consecutive five-week sessions (Five Week 1 and Five Week 2).

16. Will any classes be offered online this summer?

Yes, some classes will be taught online. In the schedule of classes, these classes are identified with Online Campus as the location. In MyCSUEB students can search for classes by location.

17. Are refunds available for summer self-support classes?

Yes. The date that the withdrawal request form is submitted to the University Records Office determines the amount of a refund. Students who drop a class, or who are dropped for non-payment during the DROP period, are entitled to a 100% refund of tuition paid for that class. Students who withdraw after the DROP date, but on or before the twenty-first instructional day in an academic quarter, are entitled to a 65% refund of tuition. No refund will be given for withdrawals after the twenty first instructional day.

18. Are payment plans available for summer self-support classes?

No, payment is due in full, on the established university fee payment deadlines which can be viewed at the Important Dates web page.

Last updated April 14, 2014.

  • Print This Page
  • Bookmark and Share