Patient Rights & Responsibilities
You have a right to the following:
- Service - reasonable access to health services offered according to Student Health & Counseling Services (SHCS) guidelines and a clear explanation of SHS policies.
- Choice of Service Providers - you may choose or change health professionals from the pool of health care providers at the SHCS.
- Dignity and Respect as an individual regardless of your gender, race, ethnicity, national origin, culture, sexual orientation, class, physical ability, creed, lifestyle or other human attributes.
- Privacy concerning discussions, examinations and treatments regarding your health care.
- Confidential treatment of all communications and records relating to you (release of information in your medical record requires your written consent), except as required by law.
- Participate in decisions involving your health care.
- A second medical opinion before making any decision and the right not to be treated, but you should be made aware of the medical consequences of refusal.
- Be informed of Fees incurred during your visit and of SHCS payment policies.
- Know and understand how to express Grievances and Suggestions to the organization.
You are responsible for the following:
- Be honest and direct about everything that relates to your needs for health services.
- Cooperate with all persons involved in the health care process.
- Respect the privacy and rights of other students and treat all students and staff with respect.
- Answer Questions Fully to present a complete picture of your illness or complaint (may involve answering personal questions which are relevant and important to your health problem).
- Make sure you understand your health problems or needs and ask questions of your practitioner regarding the diagnosis, treatment plan, test, policy, or anything else that concerns you.
- Report changes or adverse effects to your practitioner.
- Keep appointments on time or notify the Student Health & Counseling Services if you cannot do so.
- Know your health care professionals by remembering names of the people who serve you.
- Pay fees on the day of your service or make payment arrangements with the Student Health & Counseling Services Cashier.