1980 Ph.D. Mathematics Education, The Ohio State University, Columbus
1976 M.A. (and B.S. 1970) Mathematics, University of Kentucky, Lexington
-Research in Mathematics and computer education
-Directing Research of graduate students in mathematics and computer education.
-Writing and editing manuscripts and journals.
- BS 1970, University of Kentucky
- MA 1976, University of Kentucky
- PhD 1980, Ohio State University
Not teaching this quarter.
Duren, Phil E (1997). An Integrated Approach Technology Laboratory Manual for Use With Cabri. Addison Wesley Secondary Math Focus on Geometry. Addison Wesley.
Duren, Phil E (1990). Investigative Activities Using Master Grapher. Overview of Master Grapher. (118 Pgs.) Addison-Wesley Publishing.
Speaker at thirty-one national and eleven state professional meetings, January 1, 2009, Various states, National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
Grants and Awards
Comprehensive Department of Teacher Education Institute, State of California, Department of Education, , Subcontract through New Haven Unified School District, Received January 12, 2001, $24,442*, For July 1, 2001 to June 30, 2003, Teaching and Learning
A series of Mathematics Institutes for K-12 teachers, ACCLAIM Mathematics Institutes for Alameda and Contra Costa County Schools, A partnership with Alameda County Office of Education to present a series of Mathematics Institutes for K-12 teachers that provides 40 to 80 hours of 50% content/50% pedagogy., in cooperation with New Haven Unified, Received January 1, 2000, 0, For January 1, 2000 to January 1, 2000, present Variable dollar amounts from a variety of California and Federal
California Teacher Experimental Internship Grant, (in cooperation with New Haven Unified), Intern Program where university and district,faculty would co-plan, co-teach and jointly, supervise the training of new teachers. I am serving as the project co-director and Single Subject Team Leader , , Received January 1, 1993, $430,000 , For January 1, 1993 to January 1, 2002, To design a Single Subject Partnership
1985-present Professor, Mathematics Education CSUEB
1999-2004 Chair, Department of Teacher Education, CSUEB
1990-1997 Associate Chair, Department of Teacher Education, CSUH
1991-Fall '91 Sabbatical Leave -Taught Elementary and Secondary
1987-1990 Graduate Coordinator, Department of Teacher Education, CSUH
1986-1990 Mathematics Instructor, Part-time, at Chabot College
1978-1985 K-12 Mathematics and Computer Science Coordinator, Stark County Department of Education, Louisville (Canton), Ohio
1981-1985 Adjunct Professor, Computer Education, The University of Akron, Akron, Ohio
1977-1978 Instructor and Graduate Assistant, Dept. of Math., Ohio State University, Columbus
1976-1977 Mathematics Teacher, Grove City High School, Grove City (Columbus), Ohio
1975-1976 Instructor, Department of Mathematics, The University of Kentucky, Lexington
1970-1975 Mathematics Teacher, Ridgewood High School, West Lafayette, Ohio
Areas of Professional Expertise:
1. Mathematics Methods Classes for Secondary and Elementary Credential Candidates.
2. Curriculum and instruction in Math and Computer Science for the pre-college grades K-12
3. Pre-service and in-service staff development for teachers, especially mathematics and use
of technology (Stark County(OH) Office of Education , Dublin (OH) Public Schools, Oakland (CA) Public Schools, Alameda(CA) County Office of Education, Fremont (CA) Public Schools)
4. Research in mathematics and computer education
5. Writing and evaluating curriculum materials in math grades K-14, especially in integrating the use of technology and problem solving into instructional materials
6. Instruction of lower-division college courses in mathematics
7. Directing research of graduate students in mathematics and computer education
8. Writing and editing manuscripts and journals
Publications and Speeches:
1. Mathematics consultant for LeapFrog's "Fly Algebra"
2. Sole author of eight books: Investigations in Geometry using Cabri ; Focus on Advanced Algebra: Technology Lab Manual; Focus on Geometry: Technology Lab Manual; Investigative Activities in Algebra Using the TI-81 Graphics Calculator; Investigative Activities in Algebra and Trigonometry Using the TI-81 Graphics Calculator; Addison-Wesley Algebra: Investigative Activities for Master Grapher and Addison-Wesley Algebra and Trigonometry: Investigative Activities for Master Grapher (integrating technology in the teaching of Algebra I and II)
3. Co-author of a high school geometry text in the Scott-Foresman & Addison-Wesley Secondary Math series, second edition
4. Contributing writer of a middle school mathematics series (grade 6, 7, and 8) for Addison-Wesley
5. Sole author of ten research articles in referred journals (Mathematics Teacher, School Science and Mathematics Journal, Learning and Leading with Technology, The Computing Teacher, NCTM pre-conference report, California Mathematics Council's Communicator, and Ohio Journal of Mathematics
6. Speaker at thirty-one national and eleven state professional meetings (National
Council of Teachers of Mathematics, Computer Using Educators, American Educational Research Association, International Association of Computer Educators, Research Council on Diagnosis and Remediation in Mathematics, Microcomputers in Education, California Mathematics Council, and the Ohio Council of Teachers of Mathematics)
7. Consultant for K-8 Harcourt, Brace, Jovanovich Elementary Series
1. Referee for the Mathematics Teacher
2. BTSA/Induction Partnership Coordinator for Antioch USD and Fremont USD