The Office of University Advancement Mission, Vision and Values and Statements
The Office of University Advancement
University Advancement builds a compelling case for choice and support of CSUEB among all of its constituents by communicating and advocating for the university’s distinctive regional position, role, and contributions, thus forging relationships and securing commitments required to advance the institution’s mission and priorities.
Our vision is to be recognized for a pivotal leadership role in:
- Transforming CSUEB into a regional high-access university of choice and destination campus
- Generating prospective student interest and affinity leading to record high enrollment
- Garnering statewide and national recognition for CSUEB as model of educational innovation.
- Building a university endowment that underwrites and ensures the success of the university’s quest for excellence and distinction
- Positioning CSUEB as steward of the region’s future and human capital, worthy of regional business and industry support and collaboration
- Cultivating the university’s most valuable and powerful strategic relationships among business, community, educational, cultural, and political leaders.
- Planning and executing history-making, record-breaking comprehensive and capital campaigns
With a spirit of professionalism, and in an environment that encourages teamwork and personal growth, University Advancement commits to these values:
- Excellence: We take pride in our work and strive for the highest quality.
- Innovation: We empower ourselves and others to be risk-takers and reach beyond the current paradigm; we are open to change and creative new ideas in fulfilling our mission.
- Transparency and Accountability: As stewards of the public trust, we ensure that promises to our supporters are fulfilled and hold ourselves accountable for using our resources wisely.
- Ethical Action: We adhere to high ethical standards; we build relationships based on trust, honesty and integrity; and we respect privacy and confidentiality.
Office of University Communications – University Advancement Division
The mission of University Communications is to increase awareness of California State University, East Bay, help shape and enhance the University's image, and advance its objectives among all of its constituencies through integrated, strategic communications.
The role of University Communications is to develop strategies, create standards, and produce a wide range of communications in support of key University priorities and initiatives, including development, brand marketing, and enrollment management.
The work of University Communications includes:
- Development Publications and Marketing
- Public and Media Relations
- Employee and Alumni Publications
- Advertising, Awareness, and Advocacy Campaigns
- Enrollment Development/Recruitment Publications and Marketing Collateral
- Emergency Communications
University Communications professionals area also available to consult on institutional branding, publications, marketing communications, editing, and news and promotion.
The mission of the Office of Alumni Relations is to cultivate lifelong relationships with alumni and encourage their continued association with California State University, East Bay.
The role of Alumni Relations is to create opportunities to reconnect and maintain established relationships with alumni; provide support for the Cal State East Bay Alumni Association, including their Board of Directors, membership campaigns, and events; and create innovative strategies to provide additional value and benefit to the CSUEB alumni experience.
The work of Alumni Relations includes:
- Alumni Events
- Alumni Association Membership Development
- Alumni Connections
- Alumni Web Site & Online Community Content Management
- Alumni Awareness and Advocacy Campaigns
The mission of the Annual Fund program is to raise current use gifts and pledges of up to $10,000. Annual gifts are usually $1,000 or less and are typically made to department Leadership Funds and scholarships.
The role of the Annual Fund program is to expand knowledge of the University’s mission and to solicit potential donors capable of making gifts up to $10,000 through annual direct mail and telemarketing campaigns and through personal solicitation.
The work of Annual Giving includes:
- Departmental Leadership Funds
- Unrestricted Funds
- President’s Circle ($1,000+ donors)
- Faculty/Staff campaign
- Parents’ campaign
- Direct mail, e-campaigns, and telephone campaigns
- Departmental giving support including giving websites, letter writing, newsletter and web content, scholarship fund creation, presentations and other fundraising assistance.
The mission of the Major Gifts program is to develop and implement comprehensive fund-raising strategies for qualification, cultivation, and solicitation of gifts and pledges of $25,000 or more from individuals, corporations, and foundations.
The role of the Major Gifts program is to identify donor interest and to match that interest with funding needs throughout the university.
The mission of the Corporate and Foundation Relations program is to facilitate and strengthen strategic corporate and foundation partnerships for California State University, East Bay. Corporate and Foundation Relations represents broad priorities across campus with the goal of developing mutually beneficial relationships and alliances with local, national, and international corporations and foundations.
The role of Corporate & Foundation Relations is to:
- Increase private giving from corporations and private foundations
- Deepen our corporate and foundation relationships in the community,
- Serve as a resource for CSUEB faculty & staff to encourage, facilitate, and assist in submitting private funding proposals
- Enhance the overall image of CSUEB externally, and that of UA internally,
The mission of the Donor Relations program is to organize and implement events focused on alumni and donors and manage donor stewardship activities.
The role of the Donor Relations program is to organize stewardship events for both current and previous donors and all other donor relations activities such as the Annual University Gala, the Annual Scholarship Luncheon and the President’s Circle Recognition Reception.
The work of the Donor Relations program includes:
- Donor communications
- Annual donor recognition lists
- Donor recognition initiatives
- Alumni and donor events
The mission of Advancement Services is to support administratively all functions of the Office of University Advancement and the Cal State East Bay Educational Foundation.
The role of Advancement Services is to manage State funds and donor funds, respond promptly and accurately to requests regarding the status and transfer of donor funds, and to prepare or support the preparation of financial statements, gifts activity, and fund reports.
The work of Advancement Services includes
- maintenance of the alumni/donor database
- gift acceptance and receipting as well as donor acknowledgement for all philanthropic contributions to the University
- providing up-to-date alumni/donor mailing lists and current giving reports to campus units
- set up of new donor funds (Educational Foundation) on behalf of campus units
- providing fund financial statements to associated campus units
- transfer of available funds to the disbursements of benefiting units
- annual transfer of endowment payouts and reports to benefiting units
- University switchboard
- managing the electronic sign board on the Hayward campus