Transfer Student Admission
For Lower-division Transfer Students (Freshmen and Sophomores)
Cal State East Bay only accepts lower-division applications from Returning Students, and Current and Former Members of the Military for most quarters. Please view our Admission Document Deadlines website for the next available quarter to which you may apply.
Current and former members of the military may contact our Recruitment and Veteran Outreach Specialist for additional information and advising: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Returning students should review the Returning Students page prior to application submission.
To apply online for admission, please visit www.csumentor.edu and select Undergraduate Admission Application.
Note: If you have only completed transferable college-level units before graduating from high school or during the summer between high school and Cal State East Bay enrollment, you are still considered a first-time freshman and must meet the freshman admission requirements.
For Upper-division Transfer Students (Juniors and Seniors)
An upper-division student has completed 60 or more transferable semester units (or 90 transferable quarter units).
Upper-division Transfer Admission Requirements
Upper division transfer applicants must meet all of the admission requirements listed by the term indicated in the following table.
If you applied for:
Admission requirements must be completed by the end of the previous:
|Fall Quarter||Spring Semester/Quarter|
|Winter Quarter||Summer Semester/Quarter|
|Spring Quarter||Fall Semester/Quarter|
|Summer Quarter||Fall Semester/Winter Quarter|
Upper division transfer students are required to:
- Have completed 60 or more transferable semester (90 quarter) units
- Have a grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 or better in all transferable units attempted.
- Be in good standing at the last college or university attended
- Have completed at least 30 transferable semester (45 quarter) units of college coursework with a grade of C or better in each of the following courses, at a level at least equivalent to courses that meet the following General Education requirements at Cal State East Bay:
1. Oral Communication (usually 3 semester units): a public speaking course (A-1 at California community colleges)
2. Written Communication (usually 3 semester units): a freshman English composition course (A-2 at California community colleges)
3. Critical Thinking – (usually 3 semester units): a logic or argumentation / debate course (A-3 at California community colleges)
4. Math / Quantitative Reasoning – (usually 3 semester units): a math course with intermediate algebra as a prerequisite (B-4 at California community colleges). The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) requirements in English communication and mathematical concepts and quantitative reasoning are also accepted.
STAR Act (SB 1440)
If you are a community college student who has completed or is in the process of completing the Associate in Arts Degree for Transfer (AA-T) or the Associate in Science Degree for Transfer (AS-T), learn more about the STAR Act advising services or go to www.adegreewithaguarantee.com
Transfer Student Application Instructions
To apply for admission as a transfer student, complete the following items by the deadlines for the quarter to which you are applying.
• Submit an application for admission online at CSU Mentor and pay the $55 nonrefundable application fee. Be sure to print the application submission confirmation page for your records. Paper applications are no longer accepted; however, if you do not have access to a computer, then please submit a paper application (with a statement indicating your need to submit a paper application.) Paper applications may be downloaded from CSU Mentor.
• Request official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended to be sent to Cal State East Bay. Official transcripts must be received by the published admission document deadlines. Transcripts will be accepted if mailed directly by the college or university, or if hand-carried in their original sealed envelope to Cal State East Bay's Enrollment Information Center on the First Floor of the Student Services and Administration (SA) Building on the Hayward Campus, or to the Academic Services Center on the Concord Campus.
• Submit an application fee by the document deadline for the corresponding term of entry. The application fee must be received by the deadline indicated.
Your entire application including course transcripts will be reviewed by an admission evaluator. The evaluator will evaluate your class standing and determine whether you are admissible to the University. You will be notified by mail upon receipt of your application.
Majors Impactions and Required Auditions
Cal State East Bay has two impacted majors: Business Administration and Nursing. Supplemental applications are required. Please visit the following department web sites for full program impaction details and deadlines:
For more information about impaction, visit the CSU Impaction Information web page.
Cal State East Bay's Department of Music requires all Music BA applicants to audition on their instrument. Please visit the Music Department web site to learn how to schedule an audtion. Find the Prospect Music Student Auditions link at the top of the page.
Quarter Start Dates
The application for admission requires you indicate a quarter to begin enrollment. The approximate start dates for each quarter are as follows:
- Fall Quarter: classes begin in mid-September
- Winter Quarter: classes begin in early January
- Spring Quarter: classes begin in late March or early April
- Summer Quarter: classes begin in mid-June
Please submit all required items by the published document deadlines. Official documents, including test scores and transcripts in their original sealed envelope, may be hand-carried to Cal State East Bay's Enrollment Information Center, located on the first floor of the Student Services and Administration (SA) Building on the Hayward Campus, or the Academic Services Center on the Concord Campus. Or they may be mailed to:
Office of Admission
Cal State East Bay
25800 Carlos Bee Blvd.
Hayward, CA 94542
Application Term of Entry Updates
Cal State East Bay's application for admission applies only to the term of entry indicated on the application form at the time of submission. If you would like to update the term of entry on your application, simply log back into your saved application stored in CSU Mentor, update your desired term of entry, confirm your address and previously attended institutions are still current, and submit the form with your application fee online. Cal State East Bay will then notify you upon receipt of your updated application with a letter by postal mail.
Official transcripts from all college or university attended should be sent to Cal State East Bay by the published document deadlines.
After enrollment, students will have transferrable credits outlined in a CSU Academic Advisement Report or CAAR (formerly called Degree Progress Report - DPR) provided by the Office of Admission. Due to the large number of new students enrolling at Cal State East Bay, it typically takes a minimum of two quarters of enrollment before your CSU Academic Advisement Report (CAAR) is completed.
Cal State East Bay grants credit for successful completion of Advanced Placement examinations offered by the College Board. Scores of 3 or higher will be accepted. Students who present scores of 3 or better will be granted 4 to 12 quarter units of transfer college credit depending on the subject area. Visit the University Catalog for more information.
Pre-admission Counseling Recommended for Transfer Students
If you are planning to transfer to Cal State East Bay, you are encouraged to receive pre-admission counseling at Cal State East Bay or at your current college.
Admission Appeals Procedures
If you were denied admission, you may appeal the decision; learn more about Admission Appeals Procedures.