Federal Work Study

Federal Work Study (FWS) is a form of financial aid largely provided by federal funding. A student must apply for financial aid each year to become eligible for the award, or to keep working in their current Work Study job. Eligible FWS students earn money by working a limited number of hours per week at a pre-approved FWS site location. Employment may be found on or off campus with employers that have arranged in advance to offer FWS positions to CSUEB students.

Step 1: How Do I Apply for Federal Work Study Funds?

To obtain a work study job, follow these steps:

  1. File your FAFSA to determine your eligibility to get an FWS award.
  2. CHECK your Financial Aid award online (MyCSUEB) to see if you have FWS funds (not all students are eligible).
  3. ACCEPT your FWS funds offer in MyCSUEB if you want to work.
  4. Register for full-time enrollment (12 units for undergraduate or 8 units for graduate level).

Step 2: How Do I Find a Work Study Job?

  1. If you're eligible for FWS, you will receive an eHAF (electronic hiring authorization form) sent to your Horizon e-mail account. The eHAF is proof of FWS eligibility to your prospective employer – bring it with you to your interview.
  2. Search and apply for FWS positions online at PioneerJobs student portal.

Interested in tutoring grade school children to read? Tutors are always in high demand. Contact Emily Jorgenson at Reading Partners (emily.jorgenson@readingpartners.org, 510-214-6944) for those interested in becoming a tutor. The experience and personal fulfillment is invaluable!

Step 3: LiveScan Requirement

After you have been hired for FWS job, you should begin the process for LiveScan.

Drop by the University Police Department to complete your LiveScan:

Students may not begin working until their LiveScan have been returned to campus, and the department has been notified.  This may take up to a minimum of 72 hours, or longer – please plan ahead.

Bring with you your:

  • State issued ID/driver's license OR US Passport

For more information regarding LiveScan, contact the University Police Department, CSUEB Custodian of LiveScan records, 510-885-4914. Hours of Operation: Mondays through Thursdays 8:30 – 4:30, Fridays 9:00 – 4:00.

Step 4: Payroll - How Do I Get Paid?

After you receive your LiveScan paperwork, report to Payroll for processing.

  1. Submitting documents to Payroll (2nd floor of Student Services & Administration (SA) building at the Hayward Campus); bring with you the appropriate documents for identification and confirmation of eligibility to work in the U.S., using the I-9 Form.
  2. Set-Up Direct Deposit with Payrollnot required, but encouraged.
  3. Submitting work hours online:
  • On-campus positions: To submit your hours daily online, read and follow the business process guide for instructions for all on-campus positions.
  • Off-campus positions (community service-based jobs):Students working off-campus are required to submit hours both online and a physical timesheet (signed by you and your supervisor): download the Community Service time sheet.

Note: Late timecards or hours reported late will be paid in following pay cycle.

Requirements to Securing and Maintaining a FWS Job

  1. Must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP), to understand the requirements, please read the SAP policy.
  2. Must maintain half-time enrollment status (6 units or more) while employed in FWS program.
  3. Filed the current FAFSA to determine if you have any “need” (according to the Department of Education's definition of “need”).

More Information

  • Print This Page
  • Bookmark and Share