California State University, East Bay is the university of choice for many students seeking their graduate degree.
Graduate Admission Requirements - Two Part Process
Part 1: Meet the University Admission Requirements
For admission to California State University, East Bay as a graduate student, you are required to:
- Have an undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university.
- Be in good academic standing with the last college or university attended.
- Have a grade point average (GPA) of a 2.5 or better in the last 60 semester (90 quarter) units attempted.
- Satisfactorily meet the professional, personal, scholastic, and other standards for graduate study (including qualifying examinations) established by the graduate department to which you are applying. Individual graduate departments establish admission standards for their programs. These standards may include a special departmental application form, letters of recommendation, and/or standardized test (i.e. GRE or GMAT).
- Apply and submit supporting and required items by the published Graduate Admission and Document Deadlines.
Please read the Graduate Application Instructions section below for more details on submitting your application to the Office of Admission and to the academic department.
At this time, Cal State East Bay is not accepting applications for new Unclassified Post-baccalaureate students. You may apply to a credential, pre-professional or certificate program by applying directly to those programs. Any current undeclared post-baccalaureate students must declare a graduate program by submitting the Change of Graduate Objective form.
Part 2: Meet the Graduate Program Admission Requirements
In addition to applying to the University, individual graduate departments establish admission standards for their programs. These standards may include:
- Submission of a departmental application form
- Letters of recommendation
- Standardized test (i.e., GRE or GMAT)
Please note, some departments require earlier application deadlines than those published; check with the department to which you are applying. Visit the Graduate Degree Programs section for individual program requirements.
Credential Program Applicants
Students interested in obtaining a teaching credential must meet the graduate admission requirements listed above, and the additional requirements specified by the Department of Teacher Education. Visit the Graduate Degree Programs section for individual program requirements.
How to Apply: Graduate Application Instructions
Step 1: Apply to the University
To apply for admission as a graduate student, complete the following items. Be sure to submit your application by the appropriate application deadline for the quarter to which you are applying. Please note that not all graduate departments accept students for all four quarters. Visit the Graduate Degree Programs section for individual program information and deadlines.
The Office of Admission application process has two parts:
- Submit an application for University admission online at CSU Mentor and pay the $55 nonrefundable application fee by the published application deadlines. Be sure to print the application submission confirmation page for your records.
- Request official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended to be sent to Cal State East Bay. Be sure to submit your documents by the published application document deadline.
Final official transcripts, showing degree completion, must be received prior to enrollment in classes. Transcripts will be accepted if mailed directly by the college or university or if hand-carried in their original sealed envelope to Cal State East Bay's Enrollment Information Center in the Student Services and Administration (SA) Building on the Hayward Campus, or to the Academic Services Center on the Concord Campus. After you have been admitted you will receive a decision letter indicating you have been admitted to the University.
Step 2: Apply to the Graduate Program
Submit the appropriate graduate department application form and any other supplemental admission requirements that are required by your specific graduate program. Visit Graduate Programs for individual program requirements and where to send documents. You will receive separate notification regarding your admission decision from the graduate department to which you applied.
All students who wish to complete a graduate degree program must be admitted to the University AND to a graduate degree program offered by an academic department.
If you were denied admission by your major department and would like more information, please contact them directly.
Quarter Start Dates
Cal State East Bay accepts applications for all four quarters; however, not all graduate departments accept applications for all quarters. For current information, visit the graduate department's web site. Links to the graduate departments can be found on the Academic Programs site.
You will need to indicate a quarter to begin enrollment on your application for admission. The approximate start dates for each quarter are as follows:
- Fall Quarter classes begin in mid-September
- Winter Quarter classes begin in early January
- Spring Quarter classes begin in late March or early April
- Summer Quarter classes begin in mid-June
Please submit all required documents by the required application document deadlines for your program and your academic department. Official documents, test scores, and transcripts in their original sealed envelope, may be hand-carried to Cal State East Bay's Enrollment Information Center, located on the First Floor of the Student Services and Administration (SA) Building on the Hayward Campus, or to the Academic Services Center on the Concord Campus. Or they may be mailed to:
Office of Admission
Cal State East Bay
25800 Carlos Bee Blvd.
Hayward, CA 94542
Cal State East Bay's application for admission applies only to the term of entry indicated on the application form at the time of submission. If you would like to update the term of entry on your application, simply log back into your saved application stored in CSU Mentor, update your desired term of entry, confirm your address and previously attended institutions are still current, and submit your application for admission with your application fee. Cal State East Bay will then notify you upon receipt of your updated application.
Declaring Your Graduate Objective
Any Undeclared Post-baccalaureate student not currently in a graduate program must declare a graduate major program by submitting the Change of Graduate Objective form. If you wish to change your major or request dual masters, you may also use the Change of Graduate Objective form. Please see form for requirements.
Students who remain in unclassified status and who do not fill out the Change of Graduate Objective form will not be permitted to graduate with a degree. You must declare a major AND be accepting into a graduate program within an academic department to earn a graduate degree. For more information about changing your degree objective, see an academic adviser.
Graduate Admission Events
Don't miss the information, networking, and helpful tips about earning a graduate degree from Cal State East Bay attending our Graduate Admission Events.
Graduate Admissions Contacts
For inquiries regarding admission requirements for a specific program contact the academic department directly. For University Admission requirements questions you may e-mail email@example.com.