California State University, East Bay is the university of choice for many students seeking their graduate degree.
Graduate Admission Events
Don't miss the information, networking, and helpful tips about earning a graduate degree from Cal State East Bay attending our Graduate Admission Events.
Graduate Programs at Cal State East Bay
Step 1: Apply to the University
For admission to California State University, East Bay as a graduate student, you are required to:
- Have an undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university.
- Be in good academic standing with the last college or university attended.
- Have a grade point average (GPA) of a 2.5 or better in the last 60 semester (90 quarter) units attempted.
- Satisfactorily meet the professional, personal, scholastic, and other standards for graduate study (including qualifying examinations) established by the graduate department to which you are applying. Individual graduate departments establish admission standards for their programs. These standards may include a special departmental application form, letters of recommendation, and/or standardized test (i.e. GRE or GMAT). Visit the Graduate Programs section for individual program requirements.
- Apply by the published Graduate Admission and Document Deadlines.
Please read the Graduate Application Instructions section below for more details on submitting your application to the Office of Admission and to the academic department
Step 2: Apply to Your Graduate Program
In addition to applying to the University, you must also apply to the academic department administering your graduate degree program. To enter a graduate program, you must be accepted by the University's Office of Admission and also be admitted to your graduate department. Visit the Graduate Degree Programs section for individual program requirements. Some departments require earlier application deadlines than those published; check with the department to which you are applying.
All students who wish to complete a graduate degree program must be admitted to the University AND to a graduate degree program offered by an academic department.
At this time, Cal State East Bay is not accepting applications for new Unclassified Post-baccalaureate students. You may apply to a credential, pre-professional or certificate program by applying directly to those programs. Any current undeclared post-baccalaureate students must declare a graduate program by submitting the Change of Graduate Objective form.
Credential Program Applicants
Students interested in obtaining a teaching credential must meet the graduate admission requirements above, and the additional requirements specified by the Department of Teacher Education. Visit the Graduate Programs section for individual credential program requirements.
Graduate Application Instructions
To apply for admission as a graduate student, complete the following items. Be sure to submit your application by the appropriate application deadline for the quarter to which you are applying. Please note that not all graduate departments accept students for all four quarters. Visit the Graduate Degree Programs section for individual program information and deadlines.
- There are two steps to apply for admission to a graduate program.
- Submit an application for University admission online at CSU Mentor and pay the $55 nonrefundable application fee. Be sure to print the application submission confirmation page for your records.
- Check with your graduate department to obtain information on how to be admitted to the graduate program of your choice. Be sure to apply also to the graduate department if they have additional requirements. Not all graduate departments require the same documents or tests. Check the Graduate Degree Programs section for individual program information and deadlines.
- Request official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended to be sent to Cal State East Bay. Final official transcripts, showing degree completion, must be received prior to enrollment in classes. Transcripts will be accepted if mailed directly by the college or university or if hand-carried in their original sealed envelope to Cal State East Bay's Enrollment Information Center in the Student Services and Administration (SA) Building on the Hayward Campus, or to the Academic Services Center on the Concord Campus. After you have been admitted you will receive a decision letter indicating you have been admitted to the University.
- Submit the appropriate graduate department application form and any other supplemental admission requirements that are required by your specific graduate program. Visit Graduate Programs for individual program requirements and where to send documents. You will receive separate notification regarding your admission decision from the graduate department to which you applied.
Quarter Start Dates
Cal State East Bay accepts applications for all four quarters; however, not all graduate departments accept applicaitons for all quarters. For current information, visit the graduate department's web site. Links to the graduate departments can be found on the Academic Programs site.
You will need to indicate a quarter to begin enrollment on your application for admission. The approximate start dates for each quarter are as follows:
- Fall Quarter classes begin in mid-September
- Winter Quarter classes begin in early January
- Spring Qurater classes begin in late March or early April
- Summer Quarter classes begin in mid-June
Please submit all required documents by the required application document deadlines for your program and your academic department. Official documents test scores, and transcripts in their original sealed envelope, may be hand-carried to Cal State East Bay's Enrollment Information Center, located on the First Floor of the Student Services and Administration (SA) Building on the Hayward Campus, or to the Academic Services Center on the Concord Campus. Or they may be mailed to:
Office of Admission
Cal State East Bay
25800 Carlos Bee Blvd.
Hayward, CA 94542
Application Term of Entry Updates
Cal State East Bay's application for admission applies only to the term of entry indicated on the application form at the time of submission. If you would like to update the term of entry on your application, simply log back into your saved application stored in CSU Mentor, update your desired term of entry, confirm your address and previously attended institutions are still current, and submit your application for admission with your application fee. Cal State East Bay will then notify you upon receipt of your updated application.
Admission Appeals Procedures
If you were denied admission, you may appeal the decision; learn more about Admission Appeals Procedures.
Declaring Your Graduate Objective
Any Undeclared Post-baccalaureate student not currently in a graduate program must declare a graduate major program by submitting the Change of Graduate Objective form.
Students who remain in unclassified status and who do not fill out the Change of Graduate Objective form will not be permitted to graduate with a degree. You must declare a major AND be accepting into a graduate program within an academic departmnet o earn a graduate degree. For more information about changing your degree objective, see an academic adviser.
Graduate Admissions Contacts
For inquiries regarding admission requirements for a specific program contact the academic department directly. For University Admission requirements questions you may e-mail Gradprograms@csueastbay.edu.
Students may also contact Office of Graduate Studies (510) 885-3286; APGSStudentservices@