International Student Admission
California State University, East Bay welcomes international students to join our vibrant and diverse campus community. The International Admission Office provides services to applicants from overseas, students in the U.S. on a holding student visa status, as well as any applicant with transcripts from a non-U.S. institution. To contact the International Admission Office, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (510) 885-7571.
For admission to California State University, East Bay as an international student, you are required to meet the following conditions:
- Meet the following admission requirements, which are the same admission requirements as for non-resident domestic students. See the admission requirements for your particular class standing.
- Demonstrate proof of English proficiency. The requirements vary depending on your standing as an undergraduate or graduate applicant.
English Proficiency for Undergraduate Students
If you have not attended schools at the secondary level or above where English is the principal language of instruction for at least three years full-time, you must demonstrate proficiency by completing one of the following:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of 525 (or 197 computer-based or 61 Internet-based) or above.
- An overall IELTS (International English Language Testing System) score of 6.0 or above.
- Transferred from a U.S. college with 60 or more semester units with a minimum grade point average of 2.4, and have completed a transfer course in each of the following general education areas with a grade of 2.0 or better: English composition, speech, critical thinking, and mathematics.
English Proficiency for Graduate Students
If you are a graduate or post-baccalaureate student and your preparatory education was principally in a language other than English, you must demonstrate proficiency in English with one of the following:
- An official transcript showing graduation with a bachelor's degree from a U.S. college or university, or an international college or university where English is the principal language of instruction, or an official letter from the college or university certifying that English was the language of instruction.
- A TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of 550 (213 computer-based or 79 Internet-based; 92 for MA Economics) or above.
- An overall test score from IELTS (International English Language Testing System) exam of 6.5 or above for graduate students. A score of 7 or above is required for international students seeking a Masters of Science degree in Economics.
Evidence of Financial Support
If you are in the U.S. with F-1 Non-immigrant status, or wish to enter the U.S. with an F-1 visa, you will need to demonstrate evidence of financial support to cover all the costs associated with your full-time study. Please download the additional documents (see Instructions below) and submit them to the International Admission Office with your application for admission. When students are granted an F-1 visa, it is with the expectation that financial obligations will be met for the entire period of proposed study. Immigration Regulations for F-1 students provide limited opportunity for student employment in the U.S., and legal student status in the United States is dependent in part on the ability to enroll in, pay for, and complete full-time coursework.
Admission Appeals Procedures
If you are denied admission, you may appeal the decision; learn more about Admission Appeals Procedures.
How to Apply: International Student Application Instructions
To apply for admission as an international student, please complete all of the following items. Be sure to submit your application by the appropriate application deadline for the quarter to which you are applying.
Complete an Application
Complete and submit an international application for admission online at CSU Mentor and pay the $55 nonrefundable application fee. Be sure to print the application submission confirmation page for your records.
Request official transcripts from all colleges and universities you have attended. If you have fewer than 60 semester (90 quarter) units, transcripts from your secondary school are required as well. Transcripts should be submitted in both your native language and in English. Transcripts will be accepted if mailed directly by the institution or if hand-carried in their original sealed envelope to Cal State East Bay's International Admission Office located in the Library Complex Room 2550 located on the Hayward Campus.
Complete Other Required Forms
If you plan to be an F-1 student, or need to enter the U.S. on a student visa, you will need to submit the following additional documents to the International Admission Office:
Declaration of Finances Form and I-20 Consent Form for F1 International Students (pdf)
The International Admission Office will review your complete application and contact you regarding the status of your admission decision.
Mail or hand-deliver your documents to:
International Admission Office, LI2550
California State University, East Bay
25800 Carlos Bee Blvd.
Hayward, CA 94542
Phone: (510) 885-7571
FAX: (510) 885-2325
For more information about becoming a student at Cal State East Bay see the Center for International Education Web site.
Types of Academic Records
Transcripts, certificates, diplomas, mark sheets, and test scores must be sent directly from the issuing institution to the Office of Admission to be considered official. The University reserves the right to determine what constitutes an official document. Certified English translations must accompany all non-English original documents.
Application Term of Entry Updates
Cal State East Bay's application for admission applies only to the term of entry indicated on the application form at the time of submission. If you would like to update the term of entry on your application, simply log back into your saved application stored in CSU Mentor, update your desired term of entry, confirm your address and previously attended institutions are still current, and submit the form with your application fee. Cal State East Bay will then notify you upon receipt of your updated application.